Chapter Twenty Four: Zhànshì

The cultist were quickly dying from their injuries but they did their job, their wall of bodies stopping us from being able to reach the pair. While protected by them Eve lifted an Amulet from around  her neck. It seemed to be made of purple crystal in the center akin to Excelsior's blade, which I had learned was pure crystalized Entropic-energy, mounted  on a stone ring. I couldn't get any closer to see exactly what the amulet looked like. All I know that even at a distance I could feel the sheer power coming from the magical artefact. It flashed a bright violet and the air began to crackle with an intense static charge, she then pulled Adam through her Teleportation Portal. 

A ball of light floated where the Fallen had been not seconds before. It seemed to pull the Nexus energy from the air, I could sense that much even in my weakened state. The energy's formed into a cloud of smoke at first. But after a few second the smoke formed of Nexus Energy instead took on another form. It was that of a great beast. About eight foot tall its skin was pure black and it had eyes which glowed a bright purple. The shape could only be described as that of a wolf. Each of its most deadly legs ended in claws of what appeared to be the same black metal which Excelsior's hilt was forged of. The creature let out a feral roar of rage, so loud it shattered every window in the church and caused my highly sensitive ears to bleed. I could feel the energy pulsating from it. The creature was of pure magic, and it sent my Neko side into over drive.

"What the hell is that thing?" Yuguchi yelled out in confusion, Sanctified Blade in one hand the Great-Heavenly Blade in the other.

"I do not know." I replied swallowing hard. Neither me nor her had ever seen such a creature but it scared us to the core.

"It is a creature with no soul. I do not know how a fallen could have summoned such a creature." Changxi spoke. 

 "What the hell does that mean Changxi?" I yelled leaping out of the way of one of the creature's blows, and taking Yuguchi with me. A blow so powerful it smashed into the ground tearing it open and showering me with rock dust.

"It means the creature is a Zhànshì. It is truly soulless. A creature created for one purpose. War. Only a custodian should have such power... even then this energy it does not match." Excelsior called out, a hint of fear to her tone. 

"Weakness?" I growled, getting ready for this fight.

"An Absolution Spell could kill it quickly but since we don't have the time for that decapitating it or destroying the head will work just as well."  Excelsior answered, she was after all, a Custodian; the Balansufirudo's warrior Angel, so it was an answer I would expect from her, but on the same hand it made perfect sense. Even the gods of every region although they never aged, could be killed.

Me and Akio could barely stand, and getting Yuguchi out of the way of the blow had drained me even more. But we had to fight it. With what little strength I had left I activated my Custodian's Shield. I then thrust my right arm forward and the Assault Blade shot out impacted the creatures head hard. It was stunned for a moment but that was it. I stood to my full height and stared at the roaring beast.

"Suggestions?" Yuguchi asked swallowing hard.

"We kill it. It's that simple." Akio replied, although across the room thanks to our comm. device we heard her perfectly.

"Saying it is easier than doing!" I yelled out, still having not retrieved my Sanctified-Blade I drew my pistol and let loss with it. I emptied the entire clip but the bullets didn't even penetrate its hide.

"It'll have to be our Blades then." Yuguchi mumbled raising her Sanctified and the Heavenly blades.

Me and Yuguchi ran at the creature together while Akio blasted it with her Volpura to try and distract the beast, Irina pulling Jasmine out of the room, she was not ready for this fight. Each landed on its target but the damage done lasted only for a second before it seemed to heal itself in a whisp of black smoke. Yuguchi was the least hurt of us and thus reached the beast first. Striking with both her blades at the same time. The Great-heavenly Blade seemed to hurt the creature which was good. If it bleed it could be killed. Its blood came out in think black tar like droplets as she scored a hit on its left front pour, but even then the wounds quickly healed. The creature hand unnaturally fast reflexes for something of its size. As if it was little more than swatting a fly it slapped her hard. She flew across the room, Irina catching her midair being the only thing that saved her from death.