Chapter Five

Twisted Fate

Chapter Five

I got comfortable in Jay's passenger seat as I looked at the view in front of us. When he opened his door to get out I looked at him like he was crazy. "Why you getting out?" I asked and he laughed.

"I mean you can't see the view all that well from here. Come on." He dug in the car door and pulled out a gun tucking it in his waistband. I had seen the action done before and decided to ignore it. I opened the car door and got out closing it shut. My eyes scanned the view. It was a lot better outside of the car. Especially since Jay was walking towards me with a confident stride. "See that's better right?" He smirked.

"Yeah a lot better." I smiled as I took the hand he held out for me. He walked me over to the front of his car and leaned on it pulling me in front of him to look at the view. "Can I ask you something?" I couldn't get Paige's warning out of my head.

"Is it about how I know Paige?" He asked making me nod my head.
Jakaveon got quiet. He wrapped his arms around me tighter.

"Justin is my little brother."

"Really? You two look nothing alike." I laughed.

"He's my stepbrother. My dad married his moms."

"So that's why she knows that you're a bad boy."

"That's her opinion of me." He shrugged.

"I don't really care what people think of me lil mama, and you shouldn't either. Make your own opinion of me."

"I will. But she's my friend and I'm protective over her, so." I shrugged. "I can't really ignore the warning she gave me about you."

"Shorty just mad cause my brother hit and quit it. That ain't have shit to do with me. I don't move like that." He turned me around to look in my eyes.

"And I didn't bring you out here to talk about your friend. I never seen you around here. I want to know about you. What's your name? Whatchu studying?"

"My name is Raven. I thought I told you that already." I looked in his dark eyes. "And I'm majoring in Computer Science and Mathematics." I said proudly.

He nodded his head. "Whatchu going to do with that?"

"I don't know yet. For now I'm just trying to not flunk out of my first year. I'm usually spending my time studying and stuff."

"So what brought you out tonight?"

"I needed a distraction."

Jay snickered as his arms unfolded. "You not really big on talking about ya self huh?"

"Not really no. But you can tell me some stuff about you." I smiled. "Like what made you want to pick me up and how did you know where to find me?"

"I got my ways." He looked out at the view. I moved to sit beside him. "It wasn't too hard since your roommates with Paige." He looked over to me.

"My brother told me he seen you two out in Denny's. I picked you up because like I said earlier, your friend was tripping and I wanted to get to know you without her and all the questions."

"Lucky you." I sighed. "As soon as I get in the door she'll have 120 questions for me about you. What we did and why I left with you tonight of all nights."

"What's so special about tonight?"

"I wouldn't say it was something special. My best friend back home was killed."

"Damn. I guess I see why shorty was buggin."

"No she didn't know at that point. I didn't tell her until after you walked away."

A silence grew between the two of us and I instantly regretted telling him about Tevin. I looked over Jakaveon's facial expression. He seemed like he was deep in thought about something. "I'm sorry if I killed the mood."

"Naw you good." He looked to me. "I just had some other shit on my mind." He grew quiet again.

"Right." I spoke to myself. His phone begin to ring and he sucked his teeth as he pulled it from his pocket. He answered it placing it to his ear.

"Wassup D?" He spoke into the phone. He listened to whoever was on the other end.

"Look man I hear you but I told y'all niggas it was on site with dude and I did exactly what I said I would." He switched the phone from his left ear over to his right. "You know you preaching to a motherfucker who could care less about that." He laughed at whatever was said to him. It didn't take me but a second to realize that he was the person who ended up shooting inside of the party. "Bruh, he stepped to my brother and we all know I don't play about my family. But I gotta hit you later, I'm with my lil mama right now." He hung up without letting the other person respond.

I looked to my left to try to make sure it didn't look like I was trying to listen to both sides of his conversation."Look I know we don't really know each other but I need a favor from you ma."
"A favor?" I looked at him.

"Yeah. If anybody asks you, we were together all night."

"Who would ask me that?" I moved away from him a little and turned to the side so I could look at him.

"Can you do it or not?" He asked.

"Yeah I can do it."

"Good." He stood up straight. "I need to be somewhere so let's go." I made my way over to the passenger side of the car. We got in and instead of the comfortable silence we rode in earlier he played loud music. I had thought that Jakaveon was trying to get to know me, but it seemed that he was just looking to cover his own ass. I was annoyed that I let myself think that he could like me. I still had to face Paige when I got back to the dorm room and I wasn't too excited about that.  Jakaveon didn't seem to notice the mood change. He didn't show me any attention as he drove. He just smiled down at his phone when he would get a text. I wanted to punch him in the face but I had just met him.
It made sense that Jay would be like his brother.  As soon as he got the car in front of my dorm I got out of the car. "Aye Raven." I rolled my eyes before looking into the car. "Don't be a stranger."

"Okay." I made sure my face showed how confused I was.

"Why you looking at me like that?"

"No reason. Don't worry about it. Good night."  I stood up straight and walked away from his car preparing myself for my talk with Paige.