Chapter Seven

Twisted Fate

Chapter Seven

"Well look who's using her own bed." Paige spoke as she stepped into my room. "I almost thought that you moved out." She folded her arms as she leaned against my bedroom door. I looked over her it was almost as if we had changed places. She had her hair pulled up into a bun instead of out flat ironed, or curled. She was wearing a school sweat suit. I looked over my friend.

"Are you okay?"

"Oh now you want to know how I'm doing? After you've been avoiding me so I wouldn't be able to get on you about who you've been spending your time with."

"I don't want to hear you talk bad about Jakaveon. He's not as bad as you made him seem Paige."

"Why because he's fucking you?"

"We're not having sex and even if we are, that's NONE of your business. Get out of my room." I stood to my feet. "I have to study and I don't want to fucking hear about this anymore. I like him, and I don't understand why you can't be a good friend to me like I am to you."

"A good friend doesn't avoid their friend." Paige turned away and walked to her room slamming the door shut. I rolled my eyes as I closed the door to my own room. I made my way over to my bed so I could continue to do what I needed to do. My phone begin to ring and I smiled thinking it was Jay. When I seen my mother's picture instead I sighed knowing she had news about Tevin.

"Hey mama."

"Hey baby girl. I found out about Tevin's funeral. Did you still want to fly home to be here?"

My phone beeped and I looked to see Jay calling. He had made it clear to me that he didn't like the idea of me going back home to Tevin's funeral. Tevin was my best friend though and I couldn't imagine not showing my respects. At the same time I could always find out where he was buried and just go to see him when I went back home for thanksgiving.
"Honestly mom I have a lot of work and studying to do. I don't think it's a good idea for me to come home. If I do I might not want to come back to school. I'll be too upset." I sighed laying back on my bed.

"You sound upset right now."

"Me and Paige got into a disagreement before you called."

"Oh yeah? And why is that?"

"It's stupid honestly mom. We'll make up." My phone beeped again letting me know Jay was calling again. "But I have a lot of studying to do. Can I call you later?"

"Girl you rushing me off the phone? You know better than that."

"I know I'm sorry mom. I just don't want to lose my place."

"Mmhmm. I know there's more to it Raven. But I'll let it go today. Don't make me have to come up to that school. I love you girl. Keep your head in the books."

"I am, I promise. I love you too mom." I looked at my phone to see my mother end the call. I went to Jakaveon's contact and called him back. The phone rested against my ear as I sat up and placed my back against wall. When Jakaveon's voice filled my hears I couldn't help but to smile.

"Why you not answering my calls lil mama? I thought I might have to pull up on you." Jakaveon spoke. His friend D in the passenger seat laughed shaking his head. "Shut up." He mumbled to his friend.

"I was on the phone with mom."

"Oh yea, you tell her about me?"

I laughed. "No. She was calling me about Tevin."

"Oh to busy talking about that nigga." He spoke bitterly..

"You don't have to say it like that, he's dead."

"Look when you get over dude then hit me." He hung up before I could say anything else. I looked at my phone and shook my head. One thing I had noticed about him was that he had a real bad temper. He would have to work on that because I wasn't going to deal with temper tantrums and the weird ass signals he was sending me.  I looked at my laptop. I had two pages of a ten page essay done and it had to be turned in by midnight. I thought about what my mom said about keeping my head in the books and picked up my laptop. It was time I focused on just that. For the past few days I had been under Jakaveon doing whatever it was he wanted. Even if it meant riding around with him while he made drop offs. I knew my mom would be upset if she knew about that. Even Tevin would be disappointed but there was something about him when he wasn't all upset. He was funny and he had a smile that made me smile too. I couldn't help the butterflies I got when he was near me. As I typed up my essay I listened to music and thought of him.
Teach Me A Lesson by Bryson Tiller begin to play and the thoughts of Jakaveon were replaced with thoughts of Tevin.

"You ever hear a song and think about me?" He asked me as we sat in his car. I looked over to him and smiled.

"Maybe." I shrugged. His pearly white teeth showed as he smiled at me.

"Maybe huh? Well I got a song that reminds me of you."

"Play it for me."

He picked up his phone from his lap and scrolled through his music. The same song I was currently listening to begin and I tried to hide my smile. "Don't judge me." He spoke when Bryson begin to sing. He turned the music up so I could listen to the words of the song.

I had to ask myself, self
What would you do if she left, what would you do?
Would i find someone to distract myself
detach myself, get my mind off you
this is far from the end
got a nigga in a frenzy, only you would understand
oh when i used to be your man
you tell me, tell me over and over again
if its too much pressure bae
maybe im not the one for you baby
if you gotta question me babe
think of all ive done for you baby
your gonna find someone thats ready for it
and teach me a lesson baby
your gonna find someone who gets it babe
teach me a lesson babe

"That reminds you of me? That doesn't sound all that good." I spoke.

"How you figure?" He asked turning the song down a little.

"I don't know. How does that remind you of  me?"

"Because that's shit you say. You not going be happy until I find someone who wants what I want and I move on. You always say that when you trying to tell me to slow down with the shit I'm doing. I know I'm going to lose Ra. Your going to go away to college and forget all about me. Youll meet some nigga in college, he going have his shit together and he going give you shit that I can't." He shrugged.

"That's not going to happen Tevin. I'll never forget about you. Ever. You'll always be my best friend and my first love." I wiped the tear from my face and picked up my phone. I called my mom back and she answered on the first ring.

"Mom I'm coming home."

"Okay. I'll get your flight for tomorrow morning."