Chapter Eleven

Twisted Fate

Chapter Eleven

Me and Paige stepped out of the one class we shared. “So it was long weekend for you after seeing Tevin?”

“Kind of.” I sighed pushing some of my hair out of my face. “I think I got the closure that I needed with him. He wouldn’t want me to sit stuck on him so it didn’t feel like a goodbye. It felt like a until we get to see each other again type of thing.”

Paige smiled. “That sounds better than a goodbye.”

I smiled. “It was. Thank you for being so supportive with this stuff with Tevin, Paige.”

“Any time. We’re friends and I want to see you have the best things. You deserve them.” She nudged my arm.

“Lil mama.” Jay’s voice filled both of our ears and Paige stopped smiling. I looked to where Jakaveon was leaning against his car. He smiled as our eyes met. I looked to Paige.

“Go ahead.” She spoke. “I’ll see you back at home. I have a class I need to get too.” I frowned as she turned away. Me and Paige got to talk about Jakaveon and she made it clear to me she wouldn’t support us until she knew he was in it for the right reasons. I couldn’t be mad at that but it was a little upsetting.

I made my way over to where Jakaveon was standing. He looked at Paige and then to me. “She not going say nothing smart today?”

“Nope. We talked and she agreed to just let her comments stay in her mind.”

“Good.” He laughed and I rolled my eyes.

“What are you doing here? You hung up on me and didn’t answer when I tried to call you.”

He shrugged. “I asked you not to go away.”

“Tevin was my best friend Jay. I couldn’t not go and say goodbye to my friend. It’s selfish that you asked me not to go.”

“Naw it’s not. I couldn’t be there to make sure you was safe. I don’t care about you saying bye to a friend but it wasn’t close enough for me to get to you if something happened or something was wrong. You cried your eyes out and I wasn’t there to hold you.” He nudged my arm. “That’s what I’m supposed to be here for.”

I looked him over. “You never said that before I left.”

He shrugged. “Am I supposed to tell you stuff like that? I figured it was best for me to just do it. It’s not like I shut you down when you cried about dude.”

I sighed. He was right he didn’t tell me not to cry about Tevin and he let me talk to him about him. He didn’t say much but he had been a good friend. Sometimes even better than Paige was. I looked towards my school and then to him. “Well I’m sorry I guess.”

He laughed. “You guess?”

“I mean I appreciate that you wanted to be there but I really don’t like that you hung up on me and didn’t talk to me knowing I was upset.” I shrugged.

“Well I’ll make that up to you. You hungry? Lets go get some food.”

“Alright.” I walked around his car and opened the passenger door getting inside of the car. I put my bag on the floor between my feet as he got into the car. “Did you still need to talk to me?”

“About what?” He asked as he started the car backing out of the space he was in.

I laughed. “I dont know when you called me you said you needed to talk to me.”

He looked as if he was thinking about what I had said. He shook his head no. “Naw I don’t even remember what I wanted.” He shrugged. “It must not have been important. What you got a taste for?” He asked, looking at me for a second and then back to the road. I felt like he was lying.

I wasn’t sure why but he just had this look that let me know he knew what it was he wanted to talk about but he wasn’t going to talk to me about it. I sighed. “Some type of barbecue, honestly. Ribs off the grill with baked macaroni and cheese with some yams or greens would be really good right now.”

He laughed. “Damn you be on point with the meal you want.”

I laughed. “I love food. Don’t judge me.” I pushed his arm and he smiled.

“Shit I’m not. I’m cool with that lil mama. I like to eat too. I know a good spot for what you want.” He licked his lips. His phone began to ring interrupting his music and he looked at it. He ignored the call and the music played again. Another call came and he ignored it. He picked up his phone and his fingers moved across the screen quickly.

I looked out of the window pretending to not see the female who was calling back to back. He wasn’t my man. We were getting to know each other and I didn’t feel it was my place to speak on that.