And I fell for him like raindrops.

Ankita, 

I was done showering and stuff when I heard an eerie knock on the door of my room. I remember I had locked the entrance, I should have been more careful, GOD!

I quickly got dressed in regulars in an attempt to open the door and attack whoever there was only to find a grinning Rehaan standing against the frame. 

I didn't stop from playfully slapping him. "Bhai aise darate nahi hai logon ko.", I let out a chuckle. 

"I had some work with you.", he walked towards the bed. 

"I so want to kill you. You evoke an eerie feeling and then talk about work? you will always be irritating."

"Ho gaya?" 

"Kya kaam hai?" 

"Sir ka call aya tha department se and he just wanted to inform that we will be partners from the next investigation onwards."

"You and me?!", my eyes widened as I pointed the movement of my arm between both of us. 

"Enjoy the shaadi." he winked at me and exited the room. 

I groaned and threw the towel off my hair. Was I happy? was I irritated? was I flustered? why the fuck was I smiling?

Rehaan, 

I was getting dresses for the first ceremony when my phone rang. Who the hell removed it from silent? I groaned. The engagement was in 3-4 hours and probably all of us were up to some or the other kind of bakchodi. We were handling this wedding as if it was an overnight birthday celebration or some unserious shit like that and the funky mood, I was in was very successfully ruined when the caller I'D displayed the name of my manager. 

"Morning, sir.", I greeted, my voice clipped.

"What's with the voice Rehaan?"

He could never get straight to the damned point, could he?!

"It's a friend's wedding so I was a bit occupied." 

"I'll get this out fast then.", the suspense made the air dense. 

"Get what out?"

"You will have to work in partnership with Ankita from your next investigation onwards."

"Are you serious?", I blurted out. 

"Completely and if you have any personal problems you might want to keep them aside for, I am not planning to let go of the top investigators of the department."

"I'll call you back.", I don't think he responded before I cut the call. 

I soon headed to Ankita's room. 

"Bhai, I don't want to be the one committing a crime working with you so let's be on friendly terms?", she said as I proceeded to wear my kurta. 

"Bhai, I don't want to lose the opportunity of working with the other top investigator anyway.", my tone laced with sarcasm.

"Shut up, I can at least shoot without hesitation about the fact that I will have to see blood oozing out on spot."

"I have a damned backstory dude. You can't just hit on my past like that."

"I didn't know.", she walked towards me.

I held her by her shoulder, "You know how my dad died when I was 9?" 

"He was shot?" 

"By his brother who happened to be my favorite relative back when I was a kid because my dad had caught him and my mom having an affair." 

"So, he shot him?"

"So, my dad killed my mom, accidentally, but he did while they were fighting, and this outraged my mama, that's what I call him. So, yeah. Both my parents were killed for a mistake like that." I sighed. 

She wrapped her hand around my neck and patted my shoulder, "Chal bhai, tagda hai tu, don't let the past hurt you." 

"I am not bhai but kabhi kabhi I just get reminded of shits like that and you know what's the best part. I was positive about my mama, he never let go of me. I was his first priority, always. He is the only person who ever truly loved me. Bachpan se mumma aur papa se sirf kaam ka relation tha, thank god, mama used to live in the same apartment, I had him as a parent figure, growing up." 

"I can't comment much about this whole family situation of yours, but I can tell you, mat soch purane baatein. Be happy you have your mama by your side aur bhai I know you hate me, and I am not telling you I like you either, but you got me, and I don't leave easily."

All I could muster was a long, audible sigh. "Thanks, bhai." 

I gave her a quick side hug and while I was going to leave, she hit me with a, "You know what!".

"Boliye madam, sun rahe hai.", I know it was lame but we both smiled. 

"Bhai hum nahi hai aise comforting and stuff okay but hum insaan bohot achhe hai."

"Haa wo toh dikh raha haina, mera bike jo tod di."

"Come on, I'll get you a new one."

"You don't have to just promise me a no-hatred truce.".

"Promised.", she brought up her pinky finger and linked it with mine.

"Promised." 

I left the room soon after that, I don't know what she was up to but that little gesture had my heart thumping. She was dangerous; I lived at the edge.