The Doubt

"I need to tell you something," I said, both my hands fisted so tight that my knuckles were turning a shade of white. My face was pale and cold, and I could feel the chill iciness of fear flow through each and every extremity of mine. How would I start? How could I explain this? Something like this is the type of thing you read in a book or watch in a movie, it doesn't and shouldn't happen in everyday life. "Uhm..."

Before I could start, I heard Kori scribbling on the same sheet of paper. When I looked over, a sense of calm started to ease me. He could probably tell just how scared and anxious I was, and he was always a kind and caring soul. He never opposed me. 

"Hey, you can tell me anything. I'm here for you. Always will be :)"

He gazed at me with a charming smile. A comforting one. Out of all people, I could tell him, right? Surely. "So... I don't know if you're gonna believe this... You probably wont. But- yesterday-... er-... Today?" How was I supposed to explain something that never even historically happened? I took a deep sigh and readjusted my seat on the bed, trying to restart. "Yesterday was Tuesday for me. Like- It was today. The same things happened today as it did yesterday. Every event, every word. Even you wrote me the same exact note that you did earlier in class." To this, I got no response. Obviously I wasn't expecting words, but Kori didn't even look at his notebook. He just... Stared at me with a frustratingly confused look. I knew that it would be extremely hard to believe, but it was frustrating nonetheless. "Like- I'm having Deja Vu but its not even just a mental thing. Everything was exactly the same. Same date, same time, everything."

Kori blinked a few times, seemingly trying to form a response. I knew he doubted me and my sanity in that moment, I just knew it. But soon he wrote down "Maybe it was just a dream? Some people have prophecy dreams and they can be super realistic." At least he was taking me half seriously. "No, it wasn't a dream. It was real. It actually happened, I swear. I've had realistic dreams before, but this wasn't anything like that, Kor. It ACTUALLY HAPPENED. I was THERE." He then gave me a long sigh in return. He definitely didn't believe it. I knew it... Nobody would. I probably sounded like a lunatic. I probably was a lunatic at this point.

"Okay, fine. Suppose you did happen to relive the same day twice. What happened 'yesterday'?"

He was doubting me, but at least he was trying to listen. No one else ever would. If I started spewing this nonsense to my mother or my teachers they'd just call me crazy. "I woke up at the exact same time, my mother said the exact same thing and so did Mr. Hart*. You wrote the exact same note to me when I walked into class, too. And... also..." My eyes couldn't look into his anymore. I hadn't physically said anything about that accident until now... it felt almost insouciant, but I also had this weird tug of dread in my chest that spread throughout my limbs.

"I saw... something."

"What did you see?"

"I saw.... Someone get murdered."

Kori's behavior instantly shifted. It was stricken with shock, and his lip quivered ever so slightly. I could tell that fear had just tied a knot in his throat, and that the weight of the situation kicked in for him, too. He took a minute... Maybe more, I wasn't really counting. We just stared at each other for a while before he was able to write again. 

"What do you mean you saw someone get murdered."

"I mean I watched someone murder a girl, man! I was walking to school and she ran out into the road and this dude ran her over!! And it wasn't an accident because he didn't even stop! It's like he wanted to!!" Kori then put his hand on mine, and with the other he brought a finger to his lips. I didn't know that I was basically yelling until I stopped talking, and there were tears building up in my eyes.