What's a Little Espionage Between Strangers?

The next morning, Malcolm was met with a strange phenomenon. For whatever reason, time seemed to have stopped completely, blue and red wisps fluttering through the air. Everyone else seemed to be frozen in place, much like when he was getting off of the plane that brought him into Heartland City.

"Well, doesn't this place just keep getting stranger," Malcolm muttered to himself, displeased by the supernatural shenanigans that just kept happening in the city. He quickly opened the door to leave his hotel room and stepped outside. Just as before, people were still frozen in the middle of whatever it was that they were doing that day.

"Is it just me, or is it significantly hotter out here than usual?" Malcolm asked no one in particular, though Lilith seemed to interpret it as a question for her.

"I don't know," the duel spirit replied. "Everywhere on this planet might as well be the tundra compared to hell. Except maybe that one dessert. That one gets close."

"Lilith, any idea what's with these wisp things?" Malcolm pondered.

"No idea, pet. I've never seen anything like this before."

"Neither have I, it's so..." Malcolm began, but he trailed up as he finally looked straight up. Where he was expecting to see a single bright orange star in the sky, he instead saw three. One was the normal sun he expected, but the other two were glowing very different colors. One was glowing a bright blue, the other a deep crimson. Each of them was the exact same color as half of the wisps floating about.

"Well I guess that explains the heat..." Malcolm muttered to himself before he could suddenly hear the sound of someone running towards him, something he found strange since time was frozen.

"Lilith, hide," Malcolm hissed. Lilith pouted in annoyance but did so, much to Malcolm's relief. He tried to do his best impersonation of a human statue but was apparently too late to do so, as the person who was running caught him.

"Hey, who are you and how are you moving?" the boy asked. The boy, who looked no older than 14, had the craziest hair that Malcolm had ever seen, with most of it being black but the front sticking straight up in two distinct strands and dyed bright red. He was wearing a red sleeveless vest with a blue and green undershirt and white pants. Around his neck was the strangest thing that Malcolm had ever seen. It looked like some kind of triangular key made of gold with a gemstone in what Malcolm could only guess was the handle.

"That's need-to-know, kid. And you don't, not unless you can tell me why it's like this in the first place," Malcolm fired back.

"Wait, you're not with Kite?" the boy asked, confused.

"Who the heck is Kite?" Malcolm asked. "He have something to do with time freezing?"

"Maybe, I don't know. But the fact that-"

"Yuma, we must leave now!" a duel spirit said, appearing beside the now-named Yuma. A look of surprise passed over Malcolm's face, but he quickly moved to suppress it. He wasn't sure how attentive either entity in front of him was, but he didn't want to give anything away if he could help it.

"Aaa, you're right Astral! We gotta go!" Yuma said, starting to run once again. Before long, Malcolm and Lilith were alone once again.

"Yuma and Astral, eh?" Malcolm pondered. "Perhaps I need to find them again at some point. Have a little chat."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I worry about that person we just encountered, Yuma," Astral cautioned.

"What do you mean?"

"I get the sense that he is not telling us everything he knows."

"Then why did you tell us to run before we could talk to him some more?" Yuma questioned.