Chapter 4

Nicholas's eyes softened and leaned forward, both of our eyes closing slowly as our lips inched closer.

Then, before anything more happened, a knock at the door made me jump, and press my hands to his chest to move him away from me so I could take a step back.

“Don't answer it.” Nicholas reached out and held my hand as I stared at his hand in mine, then the door.

His hands were surprisingly warm, unlike usual when they were cool at the touch, and that's when I noticed just how much Nicholas was holding himself back.

His face was flushed and his eyes were filled with need as he held onto me, also while his large erection pressed against the trousers he wore.

Someone knocked on the door again, and whoever it was wasn't going away, as next they rang my doorbell, which nobody did unless they were being extra demanding of me to open the door.

“I have to.” I took a step back, and ran my fingers through my hair as I let out a much-needed sigh of breath.

“I'll just uh, go quickly see who it is.” I said awkwardly as Nicholas looked at me stoically.

I walked over to the door and opened it, and when I saw who it was, I was taken aback by the look on their face as they glared down at me.

A man, who looked similar in age stood in front of me, with another man in the back who was older than him, although he didn't look mad to see me, unlike the guy in front of me.

Why was he looking at me like any moment he would sucker punch me?

“Ryan, Colby.” Nicholas came and stood next to me, a frown on his face as he looked at the two men.

“What are you doing here?” He asked them both, looking at the one glaring at me, called Ryan.

“I gave instructions to not bother me.”

I didn't miss the way Ryan looked at me and glared harder, before he looked at Nicholas, almost like a puppy looking at its master.

“Nicholas, it's time we headed back, this area is not secured and Colby and I think that would be in your best interest.” Ryan spoke confidently, despite the man behind him, Colbly looking uncomfortable.

“Is that so?” Nicholas sighed, looking irritated at the two men before looking at me, then back to the two men.

“I will be down in a moment.” He said, before he grabbed my hand and pulled me back, then closed the door in the two men's faces.

If I had to guess, the two men were Nicholas's bodyguards, and if I really hit the nail on the head, I would assume that Ryan has something for Nicholas.

The guy was practically murdering me with his eyes everytime he looked at me, unlike the other bodyguard.

“I'm sorry about them, I told them not to come up here and to wait by the car.” Nicholas apologized to me, turning me to face him, his hand still in mine.

“It's fine…” I shifted nervously, and looked up at him. “Things are different now.”

Nicholas grew quiet, until his hand squeezed mine, making me frown when I saw just how hurt he suddenly was by what I said.

“I hope it's not too different?” He then asked. 

“I meant what I said, Charlie, if you still feel anything for me, there will be nothing I won't do to be with you, and to make us work once again.”

Nicholas… he was serious.

He looked vulnerable, and why wouldn't he? He was once again telling me his feelings like he wore them on his sleeve, without fear or judgment, he was once again putting himself in front of me, and hopeful.