Chapter 1

The thunder echoed inside the manor, every window painted with raindrops.

Fleur in her nightgown that flows with each passing of the wind on the balcony, along her wavy hair.

Meanwhile, her husband noticed that. She always seems to look at the thunder every chance she gets and he doesn't seem to understand why.

"Why are you out here so late? The thunder's pretty strong, Fleur." Clive placed a hand gently on her shoulder as he approached.

There was silence, again. Another silence, this happens every time.

"..." Her eyes won't leave the view alone, her gaze remains fixed, not even blinking for a second.

Clive kept his hand rested there, it's not out of worry, but more of an obligation of their marriage.

The loud silence stretched on for minutes after he reached out for her, punctuated only by the storm's fury.

When finally, the thunder ceased and so did her gaze upon them.

Fleur turned to him, but her eyes did not meet his. Not when his eyes are the same as hers.

Green.

Refreshing and tranquil. Green, the same as Eloise Hesperia's eyes.

There are times that she could confidently look him in the eyes without the shadow of her past love looming over her. The one that she had lost. The one that slipped right off her fingers.

But this time, it's different. Not with the thunders, not with the raindrops scattered around.

"Let's go inside, shall we?" Clive suggested, steering clear of probing questions.

She nodded, taken aback as her husband scooped her up in his arms and carried her to bed.

"You didn't have to do that; I can walk," she murmured. Yet, she found the gesture comforting. He had never done this before, it felt strange. She wondered what had changed.

"I know, I know," he chuckled.

"But you know, most wives enjoy it when their husbands pamper them like that."

"I couldn't resist testing it out to see if it works. Clearly, it's not your thing." He arched a brow, bewildered by the complexity of women's desires.

She felt a pang of guilt; she hadn't meant to sound ungrateful.

"I liked it, but next time... try not to surprise me out of the blue like that. This is rare for me, coming from you." She admitted.

He nodded in understanding. "Alright. I understand, I realize I haven't shown you much affection lately, and maybe you've forgotten how much I love you."

His eyes traveled down to where her nightgown had ridden up her thigh, then slowly back up to her lips.

"Your nightgown...Is it new?"

Clive's eyes lingered on her exposed skin, and Fleur felt her cheeks flush.

"It's just an old one, I think. I can't remember when I bought it." She squirmed, wanting to shift her nightgown back down over her thighs.

But Clive's grip on her was firm, and he took control, positioning her on the bed.

"You're so beautiful, Fleur. I'm surprised no one has tried to steal you away from me."