chapter 5: commotion for the dress.

october.
bey.

Kelly saw me walking into the office first. She had her arms crossed over her chest, staying that way while I sauntered in, posting up right in front of her. I smiled, unable to stop myself from doing so.

"Damn that cannot be the dress."

"This is the dress."

"You look like a princess. There's no way she can be angry when you walk in her office looking like that."

"It's not about her."

"The only reason you have it on is because you made her angry."

That feeling was not a nice one. The ball in the pit of my stomach I felt when I made her angry made me want to hurl. I hated the way she looked at me, I hated the way the energy felt. I hated to make her angry. So it felt like the lord was listening intently to my thoughts when she told me to wear my dress. The way both my husband and my best friend gawked at me, I knew that this dress would fix it.

My dress was a chocolate brown that fit me more like a gown. It dropped so that my left shoulder was exposed with a waist that cinched in the back. The material was thin, but thick enough that I didn't have to wear a shawl.

"You think this will stop her from being angry for real?"

"I thought it wasn't about her?" She raised her eyebrow, "Bey she's angry because you are paying her to be angry. It's okay."

I nodded, "You're right."

"When do you see her next?"

"Some time today, whenever I'm done here."

"You don't have a set appointment time?"

"No because I'm always late and she's always yelling at me."

She laughed and I waved her off. She had the biggest grin on her face.

I could tell that Kelly was happy that I had gotten over my jealousy, partially. There was still a twist in my stomach when they both got to Orange before I did and they were too friendly without me.

"I'll come to your office when I'm finished with my work," She said.

I nodded and strutted down the hall to the elevator, my six-inch heels clicking against the floor. I stood tall, my posture straight and my head held high. The confidence that this dress brought me was irreversible. I felt like I was floating on top of clouds.

I made it to my floor and my office and unlocked the door, flipping the lights on when I got inside. I sat my purse down and went to head over to my desk only to see a dozen roses with baby's breaths scattered in between. Inside sat a card and beside them was a thick, red, velvet box with a white bow tied on top. Instantly I knew who they were from.

I walked right over, unable to hide the smile that showed up on my face. I hated roses. They were useless. But for some reason, there was a smile as large as the sun plastered all over my face.

I grabbed the card and read it.

'Now you tell me if these are useless or if your day is a little bit more beautiful.'

She always wanted to be funny. And even though she was right and I was smiling wider just by seeing them, I would never tell her that.

I went to open the box and there were truffles inside the box shaped like roses. They were dusted in some kind of cocoa powder and on the inside of the box it read, 'You're so bull-headed that you'd argue with me over flowers. These are roses you'll enjoy. Ones that aren't useless.'