1. home? nah

Anya's POV:

The plane's engines hummed steadily as we cruised above the clouds. The endless blue sky stretched out before us, yet my mind was miles away, tangled in memories of a past I'd rather forget. Seven years. Seven years since I left my hometown, and now I was heading back. Not out of desire, but out of obligation—Tanya, my perfect sister, was getting engaged.

Lia, my ever-supportive best friend, nudged my arm gently. "You okay, Anya?"

I nodded, though the smile I managed was weak. "Yeah, just... a lot on my mind."

She gave me a sympathetic look. "I get it. It's been a long time."

I sighed, leaning back in my seat. "I can't believe I'm going back. I never thought this day would come."

Lia chuckled softly. "Well, it's not like you could avoid it forever. Family is family."

Family. The word felt heavy, laden with complicated emotions. Tanya had always been the perfect daughter: beautiful, the queen bee in high school, captain of the cheerleading team, and a serial dater. Meanwhile, our parents were busy building their empires. My mother, who married young, was always chasing her dreams and managing her business, and my father was consumed by his companies. I never had warm family moments, just fleeting glimpses of what a family should be.

"I'm surprised Tanya's getting engaged," I said, trying to distract myself. "I didn't even know she was seeing anyone."

Lia shrugged. "People change. Maybe she's found someone who makes her happy."

"Maybe," I replied, though I couldn't muster much enthusiasm. "It's just weird, going back for something like this."

"Just remember, you're there for a reason. Support your family, and maybe try to mend things with Tanya," Lia suggested gently.

I nodded, though I wasn't sure how possible that would be. "I'll try."

The plane began its descent, and I felt a knot of anxiety tighten in my stomach. Returning to my hometown was surreal. The last time I was here, everything had been so different. I had been a confused, heartbroken teenager, running away from everything and everyone. Now, I was a fashion designer, supposedly more confident and put-together. But the past had a way of catching up, no matter how far you ran.

"We're almost there," Lia said, breaking me out of my reverie.

"Yeah," I said, taking a deep breath. "Almost."

The plane landed smoothly, and soon we were taxiing to the gate. I gathered my things, my heart pounding as we prepared to disembark. Walking through the airport, memories of the last time I had been here flooded my mind. The hurried departure, the tears I had tried to hide, the look in Noah's eyes, and Ryan's promise echoing in my ears.

The three-hour flight had felt like an eternity, cramped in a seat that seemed to shrink with each passing minute. Finally, the wheels touched down, and Lia and I shuffled off the plane, weary but relieved to have arrived. As we entered the bustling airport terminal, hope flickered that maybe, just maybe, someone had come to pick us up.

"Anya, look! It's my brother!" Lia's voice cut through the sea of disembarking passengers, her face lighting up with uncontained joy at the sight of her long-lost sibling. I smiled weakly, genuinely happy for Lia but couldn't shake the twinge of envy. Lia's family seemed whole, waiting eagerly to embrace her return. My family? They had shown no such interest. Not when I left, and likely not now that I was back after seven long years.

Lia's brother wrapped her in a warm embrace, and I turned away, scanning the airport with a futile hope. No familiar faces, no sign of anyone sent to retrieve me. Just as expected. Why should today be any different?