8. shadow?

Anya's POV:

The event hall was a spectacle of opulence, adorned with cascading flowers, twinkling fairy lights, and elegant drapery that transformed the space into a dreamlike setting. The air buzzed with excitement and chatter as guests mingled, their laughter blending with the soft strains of classical music playing in the background. It was the perfect backdrop for a grand engagement party.

As I stood in front of the mirror in the dressing room, I took one last look at myself. The emerald green dress I wore hugged my figure perfectly, and the sparkling earrings added just the right touch of glamour. My makeup was flawless, yet I couldn't shake the sense of unease that had settled in my stomach. Tonight wasn’t just about the party—it was about finding Mr. Archer and putting an end to his blackmail.

Stepping out into the main hall, I was immediately swept into a whirlwind of greetings and compliments. I smiled and thanked everyone, playing the role of the supportive sister to perfection. But my mind was elsewhere, focused on the task at hand.

The decorations were truly stunning. Crystal chandeliers cast a warm, golden glow over the room, and tables were set with the finest china and silverware, each centerpiece a work of art with roses, lilies, and delicate greenery. The attention to detail was impeccable, a testament to the effort put into making this night unforgettable.

As I made my way through the crowd, I kept an eye out for Mr. Archer. He was here somewhere, and I needed to confront him about the blackmail. But as I scanned the room, something else caught my attention.

In a secluded corner near the garden entrance, I spotted Tanya speaking to a man wearing a black hoodie. His face was partially hidden, but the conversation between them seemed intense. I frowned, curiosity piqued. Who was this guy, and what were they talking about?

I slowly edged closer, trying to blend in with the crowd while straining to hear their conversation. Tanya's voice was low, urgent, and the man responded in kind. I caught snippets of their exchange, but not enough to make sense of it.

Then, I heard Tanya say his name. "Alex, we need to be careful."

Alex? I didn't know anyone named Alex who was close to Tanya. Why was she meeting with him in secret, and why did he look so suspicious?

My curiosity turned into suspicion. I needed to find out more about this Alex and why he was here. But for now, I had to focus on my main objective: finding Mr. Archer.

Excusing myself from a conversation with an old family friend, I headed towards the quieter parts of the event hall. I hoped to catch Mr. Archer alone, away from the prying eyes of the guests.

As I walked down a dimly lit corridor, I felt the weight of the evening pressing down on me. This night could change everything—if I could gather enough courage to confront Mr. Archer and if I could uncover what Tanya was hiding.

I turned a corner and almost collided with a waiter carrying a tray of champagne flutes. Mumbling an apology, I continued on, my heart pounding with a mix of anticipation and anxiety.

Just as I reached the door to a private lounge, I heard footsteps behind me. I turned quickly, half-expecting to see Mr. Archer. Instead, it was Tanya, her expression a mix of surprise and something else I couldn’t quite place.

“Anya, what are you doing here?” she asked, her voice a little too calm.

“I could ask you the same thing,” I replied, my eyes narrowing. “Who is Alex?”

For a moment, Tanya’s composure faltered, but she quickly recovered. “He’s...a friend. What’s it to you?”

“Nothing,” I said, trying to keep my tone light. “Just curious. I saw you talking to him earlier, and it seemed important.”