AFTER HIS DEATH

Evelyn
May 24th, 2:30 PM

The somber tones of the funeral march still echoed in my mind as I stepped out of the limousine and into the oppressive heat of the afternoon sun. The cemetery was now a distant memory, though the weight of it still pressed heavily on my shoulders. I wrapped my arms around myself, feeling the unfamiliar texture of the black dress I had bought just for this occasion. My father's funeral.

A crowd of mourners had gathered at the estate, their hushed conversations filling the air with a low hum that grated on my already frayed nerves. I knew most of them were here for the spectacle, vultures circling to see what scraps they might pick from the downfall of one of the city's most powerful men. My father's wealth and influence had kept many people in line, and now, with him gone, I was the target of their avarice.

I made my way through the throng of people, offering polite nods and forced smiles, until I finally escaped into the quiet sanctuary of my father's study. I closed the door behind me and leaned against it, taking a deep breath. The room smelled faintly of his cologne, a bitter reminder of the man I had lost and the life that was slipping through my fingers.

I walked over to my father's desk, running my fingers over the polished wood. So much had changed so quickly. I felt like I was drowning, caught in a current I couldn't escape.

A knock on the door startled me out of my thoughts. Before I could respond, the door opened, and a tall, imposing man stepped into the room. He wore a dark suit and sunglasses, and his presence filled the room like a dark cloud.

"Evelyn Roth?" he asked, his voice steady and authoritative.

I straightened up, my eyes narrowing as I assessed the tall, white male standing before me. His medium-long black hair framed a face marked by a prominent scar, adding to the aura of authority emanating from him. Piercing blue-green eyes met mine, unwavering in their gaze as he introduced himself. "Who are you?"

"My name is Liam Carter," he said, removing his sunglasses to reveal piercing blue eyes. "I've been assigned to protect you."

My brows knitted together in confusion and anger. "Assigned? By whom?"

"The government," Liam replied, his tone matter-of-fact. "Your father had many enemies, and now they're looking at you. My job is to ensure your safety."

My hands clenched into fists at my sides. "I don't need a babysitter," I snapped. "I can handle myself."

Liam's expression remained calm, but there was a hint of frustration in his eyes. "This isn't up for debate, Miss Roth. The threats against you are very real, and I'm here to protect you, whether you like it or not."

I felt a surge of anger and helplessness. "So the government doesn't think I can take care of myself? That I'm just some damsel in distress?"

Liam took a step closer, his gaze unwavering. "I understand that you're upset, but this is about your safety. Your father's death has left you vulnerable, and there are people who will try to take advantage of that."

I glared at him, refusing to be intimidated. "I don't need your protection. I've been taking care of myself for a long time."

"Be that as it may," Liam said, his voice softening slightly, "I'm still going to be here. I'm not your enemy, Evelyn."