Target Run

May 31st, 10:00 AM

A week had passed since Liam barged into my life, claiming to be my protector. And honestly, it felt like an eternity. Every time I turned around, there he was, with that brooding look and his annoyingly calm demeanor.

As I sat in the kitchen, nursing a cup of coffee, Liam walked in like he owned the place. His hair was all tousled, and for a moment, I couldn't help but notice how it framed his face, despite my annoyance.

"Good morning, Evelyn," he greeted, all calm and collected.

I shot him a glare, not in the mood for his good morning pleasantries. "What's so good about it?"

He just smirked, like he found my irritation amusing. "I thought we could discuss our plans for the day."

Plans? What plans? The only plans I had involved getting away from him. "I already told you, I don't need a babysitter. I have things to do, places to be."

But Liam wasn't having it. "And what exactly do you have planned, little Bird? Meeting with more of your father's business associates? Putting yourself in even more danger?"

His words stung, hitting a nerve I didn't even know I had. "You don't know anything about me, Liam. You don't get to dictate my life."

He softened then, with that damn concerned look in his eyes. "I'm just trying to keep you safe, Evelyn. That's all."

I rolled my eyes, not buying it for a second. "Well, I don't need your fucking protection. I'll be fine on my own."

And with that, I stormed out of the kitchen, leaving Liam standing there looking all broody and annoyingly attractive. But deep down, I couldn't shake the feeling that maybe, just maybe, he was right. That maybe I wasn't as tough as I liked to think I was.

"Liam, listen," I began, my voice firm. "I appreciate your concern, but I have a business to run. I can't just hide away in this safehouse indefinitely. There are deals to be made, clients to meet. I can't let my father's death derail everything he worked so hard to build."

"Evelyn, I understand that you have responsibilities," he said, his voice steady. "But right now, your safety is my top priority. You can't just go about your business as if nothing has changed. You're a target now, whether you like it or not."

I bristled at his words, frustration bubbling up inside me. "I can take care of myself, Liam. I don't need you hovering over me every fucking second of the day."

His eyes narrowed slightly, a hint of exasperation flickering in his gaze. "This isn't about hovering, Evelyn. It's about keeping you alive. You have to understand the gravity of the situation."

I sighed, running a hand through my hair in frustration. "Fine, but if I'm going to be stuck here, then at least let me do something productive. I need to check on some of our assets, make sure everything's running smoothly. And I can't do that cooped up in this house."

Liam hesitated for a moment, clearly torn between his duty to protect me and his desire to keep me happy. Finally, he nodded, relenting.

"Okay, but I'm coming with you," he stated firmly. "I won't let you out of my sight, not until we're sure it's safe."

I rolled my eyes, but inwardly, I knew he was right. As much as I hated to admit it, I couldn't afford to take any chances, not with my life on the line.

"Fine," I muttered, giving in. "But don't expect me to hold your hand the whole time. I have work to do."

With a nod, Liam rose from the table, his expression resolute. "Let's get moving then birdy, We have a lot to do."