A Suitable Protector

Liam

As I approached the study door, the gravity of the situation weighed heavily on my shoulders. Protecting Evelyn Roth wasn't just another assignment; it was a matter of life and death, a duty I couldn't afford to take lightly. Straightening my suit jacket, I adjusted my sunglasses before knocking firmly.

The door creaked open, revealing Evelyn's tense figure framed against the dimly lit room. Her eyes, clouded with grief and suspicion, met mine with a fierce intensity.

"Evelyn Roth?" I asked, my voice steady and authoritative.

She straightened up, her posture defensive. "Who are you?"

"My name is Liam Carter," I replied, my tone firm and unwavering. "I've been assigned to protect you."

Her brows furrowed in confusion and anger. "Assigned? By whom?"

"The government," I replied, keeping my frustration in check. "Your father had a laundry list of enemies, and now they're all eyeing you like a prize. My job is to make sure you don't end up six feet under like him."

Her hands clenched into fists at her sides, her defiance palpable. "I don't need a babysitter. I can handle myself."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. She was just like her old man—stubborn as hell. "This isn't up for debate, Miss Roth. The threats against you are real, and I'm here to protect you, whether you like it or not."

As I stood outside the study, my gaze fixed on the closed door, a sense of urgency washed over me. The conversation inside was taking too damn long, and every passing second increased the goddamn risk to Evelyn's safety.

When the door finally swung open, Marcus's presence sent a ripple of unease through me. I recognized him immediately, his face a familiar one from my past life. But there was something different about him now, a subtle shift in his demeanor that set off alarm bells in my mind.

As Marcus entered the room, his gaze locked onto mine, and I could feel the weight of his scrutiny. He knew. He fucking knew that I recognized him, that I saw through his goddamn facade.

But as he approached Evelyn, his expression softened, a mask of concern replacing the steely resolve in his eyes. His words were filled with sympathy, his gestures genuine.

I couldn't afford to let my guard down, not for a goddamn second. Marcus was a threat, a pawn in the hands of our adversaries. And as he wrapped Evelyn in a comforting embrace, I knew that his presence only added to the fucking danger she faced.

Leaving them behind, I made my way down the hallway, my mind racing with possibilities. Evelyn's safety was at stake, and I couldn't let sentimentality cloud my judgment. Marcus was a liability, and I would do whatever the hell it took to neutralize the threat he posed, even if it meant facing the goddamn ghosts of my past and the enemies that lurked in the shadows. As I walked back down the hallway, my mind churned with conflicting emotions.

Watching Marcus comfort Evelyn only reinforced my resolve to get her the hell out of there. Marcus was a wildcard, and I couldn't risk him getting in the way of my mission.

Returning to the study, I found Evelyn deep in conversation with Marcus, their voices low but intense. It was now or never.

"Miss Roth, we need to leave," I stated firmly, my gaze flickering briefly to Marcus before settling on Evelyn.

Her brow furrowed in confusion. "Leave? But Marcus just got here."

I gritted my teeth, my frustration bubbling to the surface. "He's not your friend, Evelyn. He's a threat."