chapter 10

Hugo's POV:

My heart was racing. The soft warmth of her lips lingered on mine, sending a shiver down my spine that had nothing to do with the cold morning air. I held her tighter, as if to anchor myself in this surreal moment. Her body pressed against mine, fitting perfectly like two puzzle pieces finally coming together.

Sofia murmured something incoherent, her breath warm against my neck. I could feel the rapid beat of her heart matching the rhythm of my own. "Sofia," I whispered, more to myself than to her. She had fallen back into a gentle slumber, her trust in me palpable and overwhelming.

I lay there, afraid to move, afraid to break the spell. The snowfall outside intensified, casting the room in a soft, white glow. Everything seemed ethereal, as if we were suspended in time, away from the chaos of the world. I traced the outline of her face with my fingers, marveling at how peaceful she looked. The lines of worry and exhaustion had smoothed out, replaced by a serene expression that made my heart ache with tenderness.

Minutes passed, or maybe hours. I lost track of time, content to just be there, holding her. My thoughts drifted back to the night before. She had been so vulnerable, breaking down in my arms after trying to be strong for so long. Seeing her like that had stirred something deep within me, a fierce protective instinct I didn't know I had.

The memories of her tears, her soft sobs, and the way she clung to me made me tighten my hold on her. She had been through so much, and yet here she was, seeking comfort in my arms. It was a responsibility I didn't take lightly.

Sofia shifted slightly, her eyelids fluttering open. She looked up at me with a sleepy smile, her eyes still heavy with sleep. "Good morning," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

"Morning," I replied, my voice equally soft. "How are you feeling?"

She stretched, a small yawn escaping her lips. "Better, thanks to you," she said, snuggling closer. "I didn't mean to freak you out last night. I just...needed someone."

"I'm glad I could be here for you," I said, brushing a stray lock of hair from her face. "You don't have to go through this alone, Sofia. You can always count on me."

She nodded, her eyes shining with unshed tears. "I know. Thank you, Hugo. Really."

We lay there in comfortable silence, the only sounds the muffled howling of the wind outside and our steady breathing. I felt a sense of peace I hadn't experienced in a long time. It was strange how quickly things had changed, how one moment of vulnerability had brought us so much closer.

Sofia's POV:

The warmth of Hugo's embrace was a stark contrast to the biting cold outside. I felt safe, cherished, in a way I hadn't in years. His heartbeat under my ear was a soothing lullaby, each beat a promise of support and understanding.

I had been so scared last night, feeling the weight of my world crashing down. Hugo had been there, a steady presence in the storm of my emotions. I hadn't meant to fall asleep on him, but the exhaustion had been overwhelming, and his warmth had been too comforting to resist.

Looking up at him now, I saw the concern in his eyes, mixed with something else—something deeper. "Hugo, about last night," I began, unsure of how to put my feelings into words.

"You don't have to explain," he interrupted gently. "I get it. Sometimes, we just need someone to hold us together."

I smiled, a tear slipping down my cheek. "You're amazing, you know that?"

He chuckled softly, shaking his head. "I'm just doing what anyone would."

"No," I insisted, cupping his face with my hand. "You're doing what you would. And that's why it means so much."

He leaned in, his forehead resting against mine. "I love you, Sofia. I don't want you to ever forget that."

My heart swelled with emotion. "I love you too, Hugo. More than you'll ever know."

We kissed again, a tender, lingering kiss that spoke of promises and new beginnings. The world outside could wait. For now, we had each other, and that was enough.