Chapter 10: Unexpected Turns

Merlin, David, and Jake's new friend, approached David with a somber expression. "David, I have some news," she said, her voice tinged with sadness. "Because of my dad's business deal and some threats, we're moving out of town for six months. I'll be attending online lectures."

David nodded, trying to appear unaffected by the news, but a sense of emptiness began to creep in. Jake, however, couldn't hide his disappointment. He had started to like Merlin, and now she was going away for half a year. They bid Merlin farewell a few days later, and her absence left a noticeable void.

Meanwhile, Emily was still nowhere to be seen, and David's restlessness grew with each passing day. College life continued, and both David and Jake excelled in their respective sports—David in football and Jake in rugby.

One day, during a rigorous rugby practice, Jake injured his shoulder badly. However, he didn't pay much attention to the pain at the moment. It was only when they reached home, and Jake was making coffee, that the pain intensified. He went to David, grimacing. "David, my shoulder hurts a lot," he admitted.

David's worry was immediate. He called for his sister, Sarah, and brother, Alex, who were, as usual, in the midst of an argument. "You both can't even be helpful for once!" David scolded, frustration evident in his voice. He quickly took Jake to the hospital.

The doctor examined Jake and delivered the news. "He needs an operation. His shoulder is dislocated from some strenuous activity."

"I was playing rugby," Jake explained, his face pale.

The doctor nodded. "Because of your dislocated shoulder, you won't be able to play for at least a year."

David's heart sank. Seeing his best friend in pain and the prospect of him being sidelined for a year was a heavy blow. The reality of the situation hit hard—Jake's passion for rugby was put on hold, and David felt the weight of the moment.

Back at home, the atmosphere was tense. Sarah and Alex were quiet, the gravity of the situation sinking in. David sat beside Jake, offering what comfort he could. "We'll get through this, Jake. It's just a setback. You'll be back on the field, stronger than ever."

Jake nodded, his expression a mix of pain and determination. "Thanks, David. I just hope this year passes quickly."

As they sat in the silence of the night, the challenges ahead loomed large. Merlin was gone, Emily was still missing, and now Jake faced a difficult recovery. But through it all, David knew they had to stick together and face whatever came their way.