chapter 3

As Jonathan and I start packing away, getting ready to leave, I can feel Dominic's eyes on me. When I turn to face him, he's already looking at me with that intense gaze of his.

"Dominic," I say, reaching out to hand him my card. "Let me know if you have any further questions."

"I'll keep in contact," I add before turning to leave. Jonathan exits first, leaving me alone with Dominic.

"Veronica," he says, and I can't help but like the way my name rolls off his tongue. I turn around, and before I know it, I've bumped into him. Did he teleport or something? I look up at him, his eyes darkening with an intensity that sends a shiver down my spine.

He's really pretty, there's no denying that. But I quickly remind myself to stay professional.

He leans down, his breath warm against my ear. "I'm gonna need my jacket back," he says, smirking as he pulls back slightly.

I try to maintain my composure, resisting the urge to let my cheeks flush. "No problem," I reply, my voice steady. "I'll send it back as soon as possible, Mr. Moretti."

With that, I turn and walk away, feeling his eyes on me until I'm out of sight.

We head back to the office, and the moment I step inside, I feel like I'm suffocating. This was my dream-my father's dream to see me take over the firm. It's been great, and I truly loved it, but not anymore. After I deal with Dominic Moretti's case, I just want to take a break, maybe find a hobby.

Returning home, the silence is deafening. All this money and success, and no one to come home to. I loved it in my early to mid-twenties, but now, at twenty-eight, it feels like it was all in vain. No boyfriend, two friends I see twice a year, and an estranged relationship with my family.

Everyone I meet already hates me. They have their reasons-I've done some really shitty things to get to the top, none of which I'm proud of. No amount of charity can undo the things I've done. I hate myself for it. My clients are cruel and evil people, but that's just my personal opinion. I never lose, even when I should, and it's frustrating.

I just want to go on dates, meet new people, get a dog, spend my days doing nothing. Heck, maybe I'll have a child. I just want something to love me and for me to love it back. I have the money to do it.

I sit down to answer some emails, and my phone rings. "Hello?" I say.

"This is Dominic." His voice is deep and throaty, sending an unbidden shiver down my spine.

"Yes, good evening, Mr. Moretti," I reply, forcing my voice to remain steady.

"I wanted to know when the hearing is," he says.

"The hearing will be in two weeks. I'll keep in contact," I say, trying to maintain professionalism.

"Why?" he asks, his tone sharp.

"I need to coach you on the questions," I say, growing annoyed. "Your responses need to be precise, and you need to be prepared."

There's a pause on the other end, and I can almost hear the wheels turning in his head. "Fine," he finally says. "When do we start?"

I glance at my calendar, noting the empty weekend ahead. "Tomorrow at ten a.m.," I say. "Come to my office, and we'll go over everything."

"Understood," he replies, his voice still carrying that edge of authority. "Good night, Veronica."

"Good night, Dominic," I respond, ending the call.

I put the phone down and lean back in my chair, feeling a mix of frustration and intrigue. Dominic Moretti is unlike any client I've had before, and despite my better judgment, I'm curious about him.

With a sigh, I shut down my computer and head to bed, trying to push thoughts of Dominic out of my mind. Tomorrow will be another long day, and I need all the rest I can get.

_____
Diary Entry 12:
Dear Diary,

The rest of the family turned their backs on me. They think I'm a monster for putting Mom in the ward and ruining Dad's life. No one understands what I went through. They see me as the villain. It's so unfair, but I've learned to live with their hatred.