chapter 5

What I did yesterday at the gym was payback for Dominic's attitude that morning. I felt his eyes on me the moment I walked in-he is not discreet at all. I needed to return his coat; it had finally come back from the dry cleaners. I went to his office, his secretary let me in, and I quickly realized his anger issues were seriously out of control.

It's my day off, so I'm not attorney Veronica Monroe today. I just wanted to return his coat and then head to the pound to see some dogs. But Dominic had other plans. The moment I handed him the coat, he grabbs my wrist and pullsme inside, shutting the door with a firm click.

"Veronica," he growls, his voice low and dangerous. "You like playing games, don't you?"

I could feel the heat of his anger and something else-something that made my pulse quicken. "I don't know what you're talking about," I replied, trying to keep my voice steady.

He stepped closer, his body towering over mine. "Don't play dumb. Yesterday at the gym-you knew exactly what you were doing."

I swallowed hard, my heart pounding. "I was just returning your coat."

He leaned in, his face inches from mine, his breath hot against my skin. "Sure you were," he said, his eyes flicking down to my lips and back up. "You think you can distract me with that innocent act?"

I glared at him, refusing to back down. "Get over yourself, Dominic. Not everything is about you."

He chuckled darkly, his hand coming up to rest against the wall beside my head, trapping me in place. "You're right. This isn't about me. It's about you, lawyer. Always so in control, aren't you? How does it feel to be on the other side for once?"

The tension crackled between us, thick and suffocating. I could feel the electricity in the air, each breath a struggle. "Let me go," I demanded, my voice wavering slightly.

"Not until you admit it," he said, his gaze boring into mine.

"Admit what?" I snapped, my anger rising to match his.

"That you felt it too," he said, his voice dropping to a whisper. "The spark."

I opened my mouth to argue, but no words came out. The truth was, I had felt it-every time our eyes met, every time we exchanged a sarcastic remark. But admitting it would mean giving him the upper hand, and I wasn't about to do that.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I lied, my voice barely a whisper.

He smirked, leaning in even closer until our noses almost touched. "Liar."

Just when I thought he was going to kiss me, he pulled back abruptly, leaving me breathless and angry. "Come with me," he said, his tone brooking no argument.

Confused and frustrated, I followed him out of the office and to his car. The drive was silent, the tension between us palpable. To my surprise, he drove us to the pound.

"We're here," he said gruffly, getting out of the car.

We spent the afternoon looking at dogs together, the awkwardness hanging over us like a storm cloud. Dominic's usual scowl softened slightly as he interacted with the dogs, but he still radiated a kind of dark energy that set my nerves on edge.

"Why are we here?" I finally asked, breaking the silence as we walked through the rows of kennels.

"Figured you could use some company," he said, not looking at me.

It was an unexpected kindness, and for a moment, I saw a glimpse of the man behind the gruff exterior. "Thanks," I said quietly, watching as a small, scruffy dog wagged its tail enthusiastically at Dominic's attention.

He glanced at me, his eyes softer than I'd ever seen them. "Don't mention it."

We didn't talk much after that, but the silence was comfortable. As we stood there, surrounded by the joyful chaos of the dogs, I felt a strange sense of peace. It was a moment of connection neither of us had expected, a crack in our tough exteriors that hinted at something deeper.
___
Diary Entry 8:
Dear Diary,

I'm back from college for the holidays. It's supposed to be a happy time, but it feels like walking into a trap. Mom and Dad put on a show for the guests, acting like we're a perfect family. But when everyone leaves, the masks come off.