Sins and Sacrifices

---

Mama keeps the letters hidden in the bottom drawer of her vanity. They arrive sporadically, each one a lifeline. The paper is thin, the ink smudged from hurried writing. Deons words dance across the pages, promising love, escape, and a future where they can breathe freely.

She reads them late at night, her fingers tracing the curves of his handwriting. The moon spills silver through the window, casting shadows on the floor. In those stolen moments, Mama imagines a different life—one where she isn't bound by fear and bruises.

Deon writes letters too. They're tucked inside the pages of old novels—the ones Mama reads when Daddy snores in the next room. His words are poetry, ink bleeding into her veins. He promises her Paris, moonlit walks along the Seine, and stolen kisses under the Eiffel Tower.
Mama imagines herself there, her hand in Deon's, the rain a distant memory. But reality tugs at her—the children, the stained sheets, the shattered family Bible. She clings to Deon's letters like a drowning sailor gripping driftwood.

Deon visits when the world sleeps. They meet in the park, where the swings sway silently. Mama wears a scarf to hide the fading marks on her neck. His touch is gentle, a balm for her wounded soul. They share secrets—the kind that can't be whispered within the walls of their homes.

His eyes hold promises: a cottage by the sea, sunsets that stretch forever, and a love that defies convention. Mama clings to these dreams, even as reality threatens to crush her spirit.

Their affair becomes a dance of stolen moments. Mama slips away during grocery runs, pretending to buy vegetables while her heart races. Deon waits by the old oak tree, his smile both tender and desperate. They kiss like fugitives, their lips hungry for solace.

They rendezvous beneath the ancient oak tree—the same one where Calton once waited. Deon's touch is different—gentle yet possessive. His lips trace the curve of her neck, leaving a trail of heat. Mama's breath catches as he whispers, "We deserve this, don't we?"
She nods, her heart splintering. Deon's kisses taste of rebellion, of a life unshackled. But the rain reminds her: secrets breed storms, and their love is a tempest waiting to consume them

Mama stands in the dimly lit kitchen, her hands trembling. The teapot hisses on the stove, steam curling upward like ghostly fingers. Daddy sits at the dining table, engrossed in the evening news. His voice, sharp and demanding, slices through the air.
The poison rests in a tiny vial—a liquid as dark as Mama's secrets. She imagines it swirling in the cup, merging with the amber tea. It's a concoction of desperation and rage, a way to break free from the chains that bind her.

Deon's letters lie hidden beneath the kitchen sink, their ink bleeding into the wood. Mama reads them one last time, her heart a battlefield. His words promise escape, but they also condemn her. She knows what she must do.
She approaches Daddy, her footsteps silent. His eyes flicker toward her, suspicion etched in their depths. Mama's voice is steady, her smile brittle. "Tea, my love?"
He grunts in acknowledgment, never suspecting the revenge that awaits him.

The poison takes effect, and Daddy's body stiffens. His eyes widen in shock, pupils dilating. Mama watches, her breath shallow, as he struggles to move. The room is silent except for the rain tapping against the window—a morbid lullaby.

Daddy's voice is a mere rasp. "What have you done?"

Mama doesn't answer. She's already crossed the point of no return. The vial lies discarded on the kitchen counter, its contents now a weapon of her liberation.

Mama retrieves the pillow from their bed—the same one where she once wept silently, her tears absorbed by the fabric. Now it becomes an instrument of fate. She approaches Daddy, her hands trembling. His eyes plead, but Mama's resolve is unyielding.

She straddles him, her knees pressing into his chest. The rain outside intensifies, as if mourning the impending loss. Mama's fingers close around the pillow's edges. She hesitates for a moment, her mind a whirlwind of memories—the good, the bad, and the monstrous.

Daddy's breaths are shallow, erratic. His gaze locks onto Mama's, accusation burning in their depths. She leans down, her lips brushing his ear. "You were the monster," she whispers. "Not me."

His fingers twitch, futile attempts to push her away. But Mama is fueled by desperation. She presses the pillow over his face, muffling his cries. The room smells of sweat, fear, and revenge.

Outside, the rain beats against the roof, a relentless witness. Mama's arms ache, her muscles screaming. She thinks of her children—their innocence shattered by the violence they've witnessed. She thinks of Deon, the man who promised her love but couldn't save her.

Daddy's struggles weaken. His eyes lose focus. Mama's tears mix with the rain as she presses harder. The room blurs, reality slipping away. She's both executioner and avenger—a woman reclaiming her shattered life.

And then it's over. Daddy's body goes limp, the fight extinguished. Mama sits back, the pillow slipping from her grasp. Her chest heaves, grief and relief warring within her. The rain continues its mournful symphony, washing away bloodstains and secrets.

Mama stands, her legs shaky. She wipes her hands on her apron, the fabric stained. The oak tree outside stands sentinel, its leaves dripping. Mama imagines Deon waiting there, unaware of the darkness that has consumed her.

She steps over Daddy's lifeless form, her heart heavy. The rain embraces her, baptism and requiem. Mama's confession is complete—the affair, the poison, the final act. She walks away, leaving behind a broken home and a man who will never hurt her again.

---