Affairs

With her knees pressed together, face to face with the man she once loved, still able to feel the sadness and grief that over took him, she wished she could go back in time, and reject him earlier so they wouldn't be in this mess.
Her former husband, emotionally bruised from their recent divorce sat there. Staring. He still loved her. As much as he didn't want to. He couldn't understand it. He failed to recognize the woman sitting in front of him. She looked to unbothered that their bond was broken. He didn't like the fact that she didn't beg and cry to fix their marriage. No remorse, no shame , all she felt was pity.
Thick silence ensued between them both. Taking time to absorb what has become of themselves now.

" I just want to thank you for agreeing to meet me here."

"Claire where are my kids ?"

"The kids are-"

"I'm wonder how many you even had with that chink."

"Stop it !"

"Why did you do this to me !? Why !? What we had was so great !" Jayden banged the table with frustration.

"What we had ended years ago." Claire retorted calmly.

"Why ?" A tear slipped down his cheek.
"You're far from the submissive girl I married. Look at you now. How did you become so...promiscuous."

"You were never home ! You left me all alone."

"That's not an excuse. I worked my butt off to make sure you and the kids had a good life."

"I'm not trying to make excuses. I'm certainly not trying to justify my actions. I've had an affair."

"Is it because he's rich ? Is that it ?"

"No....but when things were tough he was there Barns."

"Oh please."

"I had so many issues ...I had to walk through surgery without you. I called you so many times, you wouldn't pick up. I'd tell you my concerns and you'd brush me off, I even tried to commit....then I met him...he'd listen to me. He'd tell me beautiful things you never did. Face it Jayden. He was the partner you never were !" Claire rasped out. She needed to get things off her chest.

"But I loved you...I really did."

"I'm sorry Jayden. I love him. He made me feel many things. No one makes me feel the way he does. No one...not even you have looked at me the way he does. Even the kids love him. He's gone for each and every single recital, PTA and occasion you've missed. We were lonely... I was lonely."

"So this is what you called me for ? To tell me how much of a great man he is ?"  Jayden snapped.

"No.... I'm here to say I'm sorry. I'm here to give you my incompetent reason on why I cheated on you. Sorry won't do much, I know...but please I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me."

"Damn you...for everything."

"Jayden-"

"I want to see my children. Do you understand ?"

"Jayden...."

Without even sparing a moment he stormed out of the scene. He couldn't stand to see the look she had all through their conversation...pity.