forty five

a.n. Thank you for all the support on the last chapter, tbh I was only expecting it to get about 100 reads lol. Pls leave a vote & a few comments, I want to know if you all are interested in this story continuing!

ISABELLA

The airport is, expectedly, busy when we arrive on 2nd January, everyone clearly sharing the idea to get back home as soon as New Year's has passed. In Harry's case, he has to be back at work by tomorrow, evidenced by the Chief's phone calls over the holidays, claiming he was simply 'checking in' when it's obvious he's itching for everyone to get back to the city and put their heads back together on this case. I meanwhile, was expecting to receive many similar calls from Trey, complaining about lack of cover at the club and demanding me to get back there, so his silence has been rather surprising, though needless to say, very welcomed. I've enjoyed the respite from the city and all the drama, letting myself fall into the quiet of this little town. 

Following the rather eventful Christmas Eve at the pub, after which I did actually curl up with Harry in his childhood bed, both of us giggling like a pair of teenagers, I woke up just before ten on Christmas morning with a kiss on my temple and a sleepy murmur of 'Merry Christmas' in my ear. The morning itself was spent eating pastries for breakfast, apparently a Styles family tradition, and then opening presents. Though I'm not a particularly sentimental person, I did teeter on the edge of it when I realised that Harry's mum and sister had even bought presents for me, and seemed to genuinely love the gifts I got for them. As Anne gave me a big hug after trying on the new jacket I had got for her, claiming it was her new favourite, out of the corner of my eye I saw Harry smiling at us with such an expression of fondness that I began to understand why people love Christmas so much.

He also loved the presents I got for him: a bottle of the cologne I know he loves but never buys for himself as he says it's too expensive, and a new wallet as his current one falls to pieces whenever he pulls it out of his pocket. When it was time for him to hand over my present, he looked a little nervous, perhaps with Tina's jokes about first Christmas presents saying a lot about your relationship ringing in his head. I was expecting something similar to what I had bought, makeup he knows I like, a cute dress, so I was very surprised when I opened, first, a vintage film camera, and then a scrapbook, from which a few photos fell out onto my lap.

"A man at work had this camera lying around collecting dust, so I got it restored," Harry told me, seeming to sense my confusion. He reached out to pick up one of the photos, which is when I realised they were polaroids of the pictures we had taken during our whistle-stop sightseeing day in New York. "I printed out some pictures already, but I didn't stick them in; I know how people like to organise it in their own way," he explained. "It's not much, I know, but I remember you always said you moved to New York because you wanted to make some memories in the city. So I wanted to get you something to keep all those memories together."

Rendered a little speechless, for perhaps once in my life, I just stared up at him for a few beats, but my gratitude must have been evident in my face by the way his lips arched into a pleased grin. "Oh, Harry, I love it so much," I eventually managed to say, my voice soft. "I can't believe you even remembered me saying that."

"Harry, love, that's such a thoughtful present!" Anne chimed in, standing up from her seat by the Christmas tree. "Ooh, let me get a picture of you two now, to capture your first Christmas. Isabella, do you mind?"

"Of course not, please," I said, handing the camera over to Anne. With instruction, Harry and I shifted closer to one another, Anne's flapping hand causing Harry to laugh and throw an arm around me, both of us smiling as he pulled me into his side, which is exactly when the picture was snapped.