thirty seven

HARRY

I return to my office angry and rather pissed off, annoyed that the interrogation with Brody didn't go in the direction I wanted it to. Ideally, I would've liked to ask him all the questions I had planned, maybe even have caught him in a lie, or perhaps have elicited some kind of confession. Obviously, I'm aware that's rather unrealistic, but after months of this case still going unsolved, I'm growing more desperate with every passing second. My impatience is evident in the deep sigh I let out as I throw myself down onto my desk chair, already exhausted from work despite not having done much today besides the interrogation.

As I wait for the computer to restart, I grab my phone from my pocket and switch it back on, aimlessly scrolling through my messages for a while until my phone suddenly lights up with an incoming call from Isabella, the picture she sent me from our day in New York flashing up as her contact picture. "Hello, trouble," I say, leaning back in my chair with a smile. "What do you want?"

"That's a nice greeting," she replies sarcastically, letting out a small laugh. "Do you say that to all your women? I thought my voice would brighten up your boring day at work."

I just hum quietly in amusement. "Was that what the picture was intended for, too?"

"Oh no, that was just a thirst trap to entice you to come home because I'm bored," she says, making me laugh softly. "I could send a better one if you want?"

My teeth sink into my bottom lip, knowing a picture like that would definitely brighten up my day. "Hmm, I don't think that's a good idea," I reply. "Because then I'll have to come home, and I have quite a lot of work to do today."

"Work is boring," Isabella reminds me. "I'm much more fun."

"I definitely have to agree with that." I spin around in the chair so the back of it is facing the computer screen, my lips curving into a smirk as I hold the phone closer to my ear and lower my voice to a husky rasp. "What are you wearing?"

The sound of her sweet laughter echoes through the phone. "So you won't let me send a picture but you're willing to have phone sex?" she teases. "And at work, no less? You're a lot more scandalous than I thought, Detective Styles."

Once again, I feel something shift inside my chest at the sound of her calling me that, raising my hand to my chin as if to hide my growing smile. "Well, I've got to do something to liven up this place," I tell her. "Things are pretty fucking dull here."

"In a homicide department? I find that hard to believe."

"Trust me, it's not as exciting as they make it seem on TV," I affirm, letting out a sigh as I think about the several stacks of paperwork piling up on my desk right now.

"Well, how about I offer you some excitement when you get home tonight?" she suggests, her sexy smirk evident in the sound of her voice. "The club will be quiet tonight, so I'll probably be home pretty early."

Somehow, my smile widens even more and I hum softly in understanding. "I'll make sure to rush home then."

"You should," Isabella murmurs, her voice silky sweet. "I'll be in the same place as I am now. Not wearing much, laying on your bed..."

I laugh softly, shaking my head to myself in amusement. "Maybe I'll have to leave early if that's the sight I'm going to be greeted with..." As I spin the chair back around to face the computer, my smile immediately drops when I find that Nancy is now stood in the doorway of my office. At the sight of her, I clear my throat awkwardly and pull myself up in the chair, quietly murmuring to Isabella, "Uh, I have to go. I'll see you later. Ok, bye."