Chapter 12

Even Gon, who grew up on Whale Island where fish was a staple, and whose culinary refinement was questionable at best (he'd once told Killua he'd eaten over a dozen types of bark), was getting tired of the meals aboard the Extension. He and Killua had eventually decided to investigate the galley. The cupboards were bare, and it seemed that the fridge was only used to defrost things. That left the freezer. As the pair crept closer to the chest, the dingey bulb that lit the corner swayed with the ship. The only noises were the groans and creaks as the wooden panels of the Extension's deck above expanded in the morning sun.

"We'd best be quick." Killua said, "Ivan's brutally efficient with that fishing rod. I didn't know there were so many of them to catch."

Gon nodded, then swallowed apprehensively. They had reached the unit with its flickering orange status light.

"Surely..." Gon started as they both went to lift the lid.

The lid came up. They looked down in horror.

"It can't be..." Gon despaired.

"It is." said Killua, wiping away an imaginary tear.

There were three piles of ingredients in the freezer. Buns, squares of cheese, and octopus.

*************

"I don't think I'll ever tell Ikalgo about this trip." Killua commented as they walked away in defeat.

"I didn't even know you could catch octopus with a rod" said Gon shaking his head.

They had been on the Extension for a week now. Killua's supply of chocolate had lasted, with careful and conservative rationing, two whole days before Gon had been denied access to the cache, Killua stating that the supplies were just too low for sharing. The reserve didn't last the night.

"Maybe I could catch a bird?" Gon thought aloud. "A big, juicy duck. Mmmmmm."

"A duck." Killua said in a deadpan tone.

"A big duck." Gon replied.

Killua gestured about as they reached the deck. Open ocean.

"A duck."

Gon nodded, "There's seasoning at least down there. We could have a roast."

"A duck. Where are you going to find a duck!" Killua was very animated. "Food is not something to joke about in such dire straits as these!"

Gon smiled as he felt the mostly playful aura coming off of his friend. It had been a while since he'd felt genuine annoyance from him, and he was pleased to find that the streak wasn't over just yet.

"Sea ducks exist" he said, closing his eyes and putting his finger up.

"Have you seen one?" Killua asked.

Before Gon could answer Killua Ivan, who stood at the prow of his vessel, let out a shout as he whipped his rod up. An eight-appendaged specimen landed on the sizable pile next to him.

"Another!" he shouted as he cast off again.

Killua sighed and leant on the railing, looking out to the horizon.

"Not long now." Gon said.

Killua nodded but didn't stop staring.

Gon stood next to his friend and watched the waves.

*************

As evening came around the voyagers began their after-meal routine, which consisted of rounds of cards and cans of chilled water for Killua and Gon (Ivan opted for beer).