Chapter Four (The Present)

With Friends Like These?

"Will this be all?"

You look down at the water bottle. It's small, not even filled to the lip and fits more to quench the thirst of a child rather than an adult. If you really wanted to you're sure you could fit the entire thing in your back pocket. It would make sitting down difficult, but easy transportation is actually rather intriguing, despite how little it is.

As your eyes observe the bottle, part of you begins to wonder if you should just save up for something a bit bigger. You just don't know when you'll be getting the chance for something with more space. Plus, you do kinda need the water now, and with all the ice on the ground, it'll probably be spring by the time you manage to gather the appropriate price.

"Yeah, thanks," You say, sliding the change over and taking the bottle into your hands.

The cashier counts out the money whilst you awkwardly stand by, playing with the plastic blue labeling and actively avoiding the uniformed woman's gaze. You can feel the suspicion rolling off her. The look she's giving you makes you nervous in that way only someone on the run can be. All the fears you've had of being found out begin to culminate and settle in your gut. How pathetic would it be to be caught now? No less by a paranoid human cashier?

To your relief, she doesn't question you.

"Cool, have a nice day," She adds the last bit like a second thought, promptly ending the conversation and releasing you from your spot at the counter. The coins jingle when they're dropped into the cash register and while you're leaving the doorbell chimed alongside.

As you walk away, leaving the tiny building in favor of the cool fall air, a cold sigh of relief exits your lungs. That was the easiest interaction you've had at a gas station in months and you're utterly thankful. Usually people take in your dirty, mangled appearance and flat out refuse service. Some even threaten the cops. You're glad all you got this time around was a questioning look, because you can't really afford to stick around for anything more.

You're greeted by the smells of gasoline and cheap take out when you cautiously step out onto the open parking lot. It makes your nose scrunch, threatening a sneeze, but you quickly exit the property before anything can come out of the stench. With water in hand you trek into the surrounding woods, stepping over the curbside and frowning when mud greets you by soaking into your shoes and socks. Sighs exit your lips at the squishing, but you know they're dirty anyways. A little more grime can't ruin an already soiled garment. Though, it can add to the mounting discomfort you're facing.

You guess you walk for about twenty minutes before the noises and scents of society begin to fade. At this point your feet are freezing, your jaw hurts from chattering, and all you want to do is lay in front of a fire with a stack of blankets a mile high. It sucks, but it's not like you expected anything different. Late fall and the entire span of winter are never good times for vampires. Your bodies can't regulate temperatures as well as the living. During hot summers you often overheat, and in freezing conditions like today, what little blood you have threatens to turn into ice.

You know once you get back that you'll be able to warm up a little bit. There's plenty of blankets and donated clothing to protect yourself from the elements, well, at least the major parts. Your toes and fingers will need a whole lot of heat to shake off the threat of frostbite. Maybe one of the fires will help you in that pursuit, but you know just by looking at some of your fellow nomads that is unlikely. Many have lost toes to their cold wet socks and water logged shoes. You've never had to look at such feet, but the victim's of the seasonal chill were quick to warn you of the consequences.