Chapter Six (The Past)

A Stalker, an Orphan, and a Gardener Walk Into a Bar.

You didn't like the way Miguel had been looking at you. It was ill-mannered, like a child staring at someone as they eat or an angsty teen glaring at their parents from across the table. However, in those cases, it's easy to forgive. Children are immature and teens are hormonal. They don't understand social cues -or are blinded by their own emotions- and often can't adequately tell why something might make someone uncomfortable. That's not really their fault, it's just a product of being inexperienced.

You had a hard time carrying the same sentiment when it came to the man off to your side. He wasn't a child. He wasn't a teen either. In fact, being far older than the eldest of humans, Miguel had time to perfect his communication skills. To at least read the room in such a social setting. You were sure that, due to his nature, his actions were purposeful. Afterall, he didn't really want you there to begin with. Why not make that clear from the get-go?

"So, do you have any hobbies?" Fai asked from across the table, hands wrapped around a teacup with an elegant golden handle. The object looked like it belonged in a china cabinet, not in the hands of man. Especially such a man as rustic and simple as Fai, who cradled the dish more like a mug than fine porcelain. It looked a bit silly, but he seemed unbothered. You didn't really know Adam very well by that point, but you could already imagine his stiff ass shaking a finger at such an action.

You nodded, avoiding Miguel's stern eyes, "Uh, I do a lot of embroidery. Mostly out of boredom rather than actual enjoyment."

"Oh, that sounds fun," He said, ignoring your comment about boredom. Blunted nails clinked against the teacup in his hands, "I've never tried embroidery. Is it hard?"

Fai seemed too passive for someone genuinely intrigued with your hobbies. He came off as fake, with words that held little emotion and bordered on coming off as cold. It sounded like he was trying to feign interest. You couldn't tell if he was being nice or just entertaining you until Adam and Megan came back. Either way, it left a bit of a sour taste in your mouth.

"Eh, annoying sometimes, but not anything that patience can't fix. Most people could probably do it if they wanted to."

The polite male responded with a tight-lipped smile and upturned eyes. It was clear he disagreed, "I think that's a generous statement."

Fai lifted his tea to his lips and the patio fell silent. Minutes passed like that, without anyone exchanging anything besides a variety of unsteady glances that ranged from angry to awkward. Well, everyone except Fai, who seemed to be comfortable amongst the tense atmosphere. You on the other hand weren't handling it very well. You felt a bit at odds amongst the group. A stranger sitting at a table of friends. In most social situations you would have left. Your displeasure would be apparent and you'd probably earn a scolding from Megan for 'acting irrationally'. However, you didn't leave that day. That was a mistake. One of your first ones, but not the crucial tipping point.

"HEY GUYS!" Someone shouted from behind you. The unexpected noise sent you -already on edge and jittery from your encounter- jumping into the air, "Oh! And gal."

The arrival of a new male voice was helpful to your nerves. It took attention away from you, and loosened up the other's tight gazes. Unfortunately, the new man did not fix the atmosphere with his entrance. In fact he only seemed to make it worse in a similar way a crying baby does to a bumpy plane ride.

You were just happy it wasn't directed at you.

"Charles, nice to see you," Grant hummed, pushing some of his hair behind his ears. He seemed genuinely happy to see the man, albeit a bit surprised. It was nice to see him finally relax a little despite the shock so prominent on his features, "Adam told us you'd be isolating yourself for the morning. I'm happy you decided to join us though."