Chapter 2: The Dreamer Will Dream

I was standing in the sun, a field before me. Shielding my eyes with my hand I stared into the distance, straining against the wind that cast up from the wheat sea in front of me.

The sun peaked out from behind a building. Its windows reflecting the rays brilliantly along with the slightly tainted blue sky.

Was I dreaming?

I looked down to see my sneaker clad feet on the slightly moist ground.

Truly I was dreaming of the time that the cities still stood.

The break of the century started just after my 11th birthday.

The sun busted at my winter white skin.

I could hear cars hooting at each other in the city. All felt right in the world and then I was pulled from my dream by a dark dust and a sharp stinging pain in my arm.

The sound of my escalating heart beat was the first thing that I heard before I came to completely.

My eyes was clouded and I felt vertiginous as I tried to hoist myself up onto my elbows. Someone pressed me back down.

"Calm down. Your safe now." Even though I could only see blurred, contrasted images I rested my head back down onto the pillow.

I was on a stabilizer. Tubes went up my nose and I had a needle in my arm. My ribs were bandaged and I had a supporter around my waist.

"Where am I?" I voiced woozily.

"The Cumberland estate, North-wood."The detective answered with a timely gape between his words.

The name flashed through my head as I nodded in recognition.

"Would you mind if I ask you a few things?"

The question was not one of those one answer questions which was pretty much useless because that person was going to do whatever they asked to anyway and you would just have to go along with it.

He asked it sincerely.

I nodded, my sight slowly clearing, I wasn't looking at him though because my eyes stung and my head was starting to hurt the slightest bit from my sight returning.

"How old are you?"

"Nineteen."

"What's your name?"

He spaced his questions enough for my machine controlled breathing for which I was thankful.

"Piper."

I heard a felt pen scribble on a pad but a second before I heard him stand up and walk towards me and sitting down on the side of the spacious king size bed that I was loitered in.

"What is the last thing you can remember?" He asked me as his hand rested on my cheek and he shun a dim light into my eyes to check my retraction.

"You finding me and bringing me here."

My mouth was dry so I answered as shortly as I could.

Then a thought came to my mind: where was my car.

I tried to sit up again, swinging my one leg off the bed and pulling at the tube in my nose.

"My name is Eon and I am also your doctor for the time being." He ushered me back down with his hands on my shoulders, his tone giving power to his action. Not shunt y but gentle and firm.

As if reading my mind he stated: "Your van is parked outside in the garage safe along side my patroler."

"You are an investigator?"