Chapter 4 - Mistaken Identity

Bane

Sparksburg Hospital

Six Years Prior

Waking up early the next morning, I head into the hospital. I just want to check on Skye, but I need to avoid her parents, so I don't go near the waiting room. I buzz the door at ICU and a voice comes over it, "Can I help you?"

"Yes, my mate is in there. I want to check on her." The door clicks, and I enter the ICU at the nurses station. I walk around, looking for someone to tell me where to find Skye's room. Several nurses are gathered together, looking sad and whispering. With my wolf hearing, I can make out what they are saying. "Poor girl." says one. "Which one was it?"

"The one brought in for Cheating Mate Syndrome."

"When did the fetal heart monitor flat line?" asks another.

"A couple hours ago. The fetus didn't make it. Doc says she'll be in soon."

The fetus didn't make it. I repeat to myself. "Excuse me." I interrupt the nurses. "Did you say the fetus didn't make it?" I am guilt ridden. Skye will probably be devastated.

"I'm sorry, sir, we can't divulge patient information to non-family members."

"I'm her mate." I insist. "That fetus is my pup."

"Oh!  I'm sorry, sir.  Since you are the father, you have the right to know. The doctor will be in soon, and she can talk to you, but the fetal heartbeat monitor straight-lined a couple of hours ago. You have our condolences."

"Is the mother doing okay?"

"Oh yes! She did better overnight. She is stable and will probably get sent to a regular room today."

"That's good news."

"I think she's still asleep, but you can wait in her room if you like."

"No. I think I will wait outside until she wakes." You are a coward. My wolf berates me as I leave the ICU and head straight to the parking garage.  He knows that I am ghosting Skye.

"I might be a coward in this situation, but I don't want to face Tenn Roberts. He will kill me. Besides, Skye is going to be okay. I will ask Alpha for a transfer under the guise of moving to be closer to Skye while she is in the hospital. Fly under the radar, remain celibate until she fully recovers and then do a rejection ceremony. It doesn't have to be fancy, nor does it have to be in person. Maybe when we are older and more settled, we will take a chosen mate. This is all for the best.  The only reason I agreed to mate with her was because of the pup.  It's gone now.

"If you're reading this on teenfic site or similar ones, you're reading on a mirror site. To read this (and other stories) by the actual author for free, go to Wattpad/Mellie_readsnwrites."

COPYRIGHT © 2024 by Mellie_readsnwrites

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form by any means, including photocopying, recording or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author.

Dr. Frances

What a mess! My team was so tired last night that they mixed up the records for the two back to back females with Cheating Mate Syndrome. Rae Hammons was placed in the ICU, and Skye Roberts was placed out on the floor. That was fine because Skye and her fetus are stable. We just needed to watch that larger laceration that I repaired near her womb. I was informed of the mistake about midnight, so I went to meet with Skye's family and correct the report.  Her parents stayed in her room with her last night.  Her mate was nowhere to be found, so I assume they will update him. I grab my laptop cart and roll into Skye Robert's room. Skye is sitting up in bed. Her color looks better. "Hi Skye. I'm Dr. Frances. I operated on you yesterday. How are you feeling?" I asked as I lifted her gown and pulled back the bandage.

"Better." Her voice was gruff.

"Good. It looks like your wolf healing has kicked in, and that incision wound has healed up nicely. The bruising is fading to a nice yellow." I grin at her. "Those blood pockets are fading as well. Let me listen to you." I listen to her heart with my stethoscope. It's really not necessary, as I can hear her strong heartbeat without it. I move it lower to her abdomen. "Oh, the pup's heartbeat is nice and strong this morning." I move to my laptop and begin charting notes. I am really pleased that the pup made it. I move back over to Skye and push around gently on the area near her womb that we are watching. I can feel her muscles and flesh inside have knit back together and smoothed out. "Wonderful. You keep this up, and you will be out of here by tomorrow."

Mrs. Roberts starts to cry again. I think it is a happy cry this time. "That's wonderful." She says. Both parents gather a crying Skye up in their arms for a cuddle.

"Take care, family. I'll be back in the morning for a final check."

Rolling my laptop with me, I get on the elevator and head to the ICU to check on my other patient. This visit won't be as happy. Unfortunately, the fetus succumbed to the injuries, and the mother isn't doing as well as I'd like. My nurses report that she is stable this morning, but her recovery will probably take longer. If her healing had kicked in overnight, the fetus would have survived. It's a waiting game. I take a deep breath and go inside to deliver the sad news.