Chapter 29

---

"Hope is an interesting thing. Two years ago, I couldn't even begin to fathom any possible future.

Nothing seemed possible, I thought it was over. Toga's corruption shrouded my heart, but even so, I managed to ward it off long enough for Keigo to find me. He saved me.

And then he saved the world, just because he could. So... Now I gotta return the favour. I guess that's love."

Weeks had passed, and (M/N) ran through one of the many alleys in Valoran City. Coming home wasn't as bad as he thought it would be, but he didn't have much time to reflect on past events. Not like that bothered him anyway.

"He went this way!"

"Which brings me back... to hope. The hope that I can save Keigo. The hope that there's enough of Keigo left to save, buried beneath the current corrupted one. Hope really sucks."

(M/N) stopped, staring at the top of the buildings. Nejire, Mirio and Tamaki caught up to him and mimicked his movements, watching as a dozen large void monsters began to climb down, their sights set on the newly arrived Star Guardians. They weren't void hounds, but they also weren't void bugs either. These looked like armoured chaos monsters. Nothing like (M/N) had ever seen. No wonder the First Star kept recruiting new Guardians, the Dark Star kept creating new types of void monsters. He could only imagine how many more there would be scattered across the universe.

"He led us here on purpose, (M/N). It's an ambush!" Mirio said.

"Yeah, I have eyes, Mirio," (M/N) sighed

"I've never seen these ones before," Nejire scratched her head.

"They're strong," was all Tamaki contributed.

"I'm sure it's nothing we can't handle," (M/N) said as he readied himself.

"(M/N)! I'm seeing lots of other void monsters across the city, and I think some other Star Guardians!" Nejire shouted from her stage high above the buildings.

"That must be Izuku's group."

Nejire hovered back down towards the group. "Shouldn't we go help them? Ooooooor... maybe see if they can help us?"

"No time. They've got their mission, and we've got ours." (M/N) fired off a blast at the first void monster to try to jump on him. He hit it square in the chest, knocking it into the back wall. "We need to keep looking for him."

As if listening to (M/N), he showed up on top of one of the buildings a street down. (M/N) saw him instantly.

Keigo.

"There he is!" In an instant, (M/N) launched himself to the top of the building, not waiting for the others, and took off towards Keigo. He leaped across the buildings, getting closer to his former leader.

Much like Denki and Kyoka, the corruption had visibly changed Keigo, his skin was much paler, dark purples and blacks now crowded his Star Guardian outfit, and his once vibrant red wings were now a dark maroon colour. Keigo wasn't at all surprised to see (M/N).

"(M/N), what's with that angry expression? It's like I don't even know you anymore!"

"Love... Isn't like hope."

"Don't give me that crap!" (M/N) shouted as he fired off his golden binding ring of light at Keigo.

"Love is annoying. Love has a smug, punchable face. Love needs to shut up before I make it shut up."

Keigo didn't even flinch, smirking as his feathers dispersed (M/N)'s attack before it could get close to touching him. (M/N) just stood there, trying to catch his breath. All this running and fighting void monsters was pretty annoying, especially when the reason he was doing it kept running away.