Caleb
Present day

The club was just like any other. It had bars on either side of the room where some hipster bartenders were serving cocktails. The tables and booths were in the back, and there was a dance floor in front of the stage. It was too dark to make out any details of the place, and I honestly couldn't figure out how these humans saw anything. The floor was sort of sticky, like one too many drinks had been spilled, and every time I took a step, it made a squishy sound that infuriated me.

The place was packed. There were too many humans here for my liking. I kept bumping into them as I walked by. I had nothing against the humans personally, but I didn't like hiding who I was. They say there was a time when humans knew about werewolves, but fear is a powerful thing. The humans knew that we were stronger and faster and that they could never beat us. They feared that we would eventually take them all out. So they ambushed us and tried to kill us with their modernized weapons. But it ended swiftly, with the werewolves having to massacre the humans. The humans left didn't want to have the same results in the future, so they made a deal with the head of the werewolves that the humans would forget we existed. We would hide from them, and the humans would blame the deaths of their comrades on a plague. I think they called it the bubonic plague, or black death.

With them everywhere I turned here, I had to be careful not to use any of my werewolf abilities. I wasn't even sure why Tony wanted to meet in the club; we could have met at his pack house or even his office. I think he liked to be around humans. He was an alpha, but he definitely wasn't the strongest one. At least he had the advantage that none of us would do anything with all of them around.

Tony was the owner of this lovely establishment. He was a tall muscular guy with dark hair. He looked like he came right out of the movie Goodfellas, with a white suit and a black V-neck underneath it. He sat at a red booth with a perfect view of the stage. He was staring at it, as if waiting for something special. He had goons—I mean guards—on either side of the booth. The two of them were similarly dressed to Tony, and I couldn't help but shake my head. What exactly had I walked into? I had only met him a handful of times, and I didn't remember him being quite so mobster. He always seemed like a good guy, but I definitely couldn't consider him a friend or an ally.

He looked at me. So I walked to the booth, looking him in the eye the whole way. When I reached him, I opened my mouth to speak, but Tony stopped me by putting his finger to his lips and going, “Sshh!” My eyes nearly bulged out of my skull, and I don't think my brow could have furrowed any farther down. Was this guy for real? Did he just shush me? Before I got the chance to tell him off, he waved his right hand, palm up, toward the stage, so I turned to look at it. Just as I did, the lights dimmed, the spotlights that I hadn't noticed pointed at the stage, and I heard the song “Bang Bang” by Ariana Grande, Jessie J, and Nicki Minaj come on—only it wasn't them singing.

I expected to see humans on the stage, but what I found were three girls with their backs to us. Two of which were werewolves. The third one was hard to tell, but I think she was a witch since she smelled of sage. The first girl turned around and began singing the Jessie J verse. She was wearing a miniskirt and a pink tank top that showed just the right amount of cleavage. She was definitely pretty. She had short brown hair, had brown eyes, seemed to be about five foot six, and had a killer voice, but it wasn't her who captured my attention.

When the Ariana Grande verse started, I forgot where I was. My entire body relaxed as I saw the face of the most captivating woman. She was perfect. She looked like she was five foot eight, with flowing blond hair about halfway down her back. The way she moved in her tight blue dress was enough to make any man weak, but those weren't even strong-enough words for how I felt. My heart was racing faster than ever before! And not to mention her voice. Beautiful was an understatement. It had this calming effect on me. It made me feel a sense of home which not even my own home or pack could accomplish. I felt like nothing in my life had made sense up until this moment. Then a word slipped past my lips that I was sure I would never say.

“Mate.”