Mate? Did he just say that? How could he be my mate? I stood there in baffled silence as everyone shifted back to human. They dressed themselves and all turned to me for my response. It was eerily quiet, and I didn't have a clue what I was going to say. Could this be true? I mean why would he lie about this? Something wasn't adding up, and I guess it was I who needed to get the answers.

“I don't understand. I should be able to tell who my mate is.” Mates were supposed to have an instant connection. You were supposed to know without a shadow of a doubt it was your mate. Some said there would be a little voice in your head that would scream the word.

“Do you not feel the bond?” He looked saddened by the thought.

“No.” I paused briefly, then added, “I mean, you're obviously hot.” His expression changed immediately as he gave me a devilish grin. I scrunched my face as I continued, “I guess there is a part of me saying I should trust you. Sort of feels instinctual. Like I just know somehow that you would never hurt me. But mate? I thought it would feel like…more.”

He looked disheartened, but not entirely confused by the situation. “I thought you would feel more too, but I'm sure there's an explanation.”

Will interjected, “Yeah, like maybe you're full of shit. Who are you stalling for?”

Caleb side-eyed Will. Caleb was taller than Will, but Will was more muscular. That's not to say Caleb wasn't muscular; he was sort of perfect. Ugh! Why do I keep saying that? I looked at the boys giving each other death glares. I wasn't sure who would win in a fight, but I didn't really want to find out.

“Will, I got this.” I held my hand in front of him, and he just nodded and kept quiet. He was still eyeing Caleb, though, and Caleb seemed unfazed by it now. He just kept focused on me. “Care to explain why I can't feel the mate bond?”

“It's…complicated. If you would just come back with me, we can all explain what's going on.”

“Yeah, that's not happening,” I said with indignation.

“You've been here a while. You must trust Tony.”

“I did trust Tony. You know, before he called all the alphas here without so much as a warning.”

“So you're running from one of the other alphas?”

That threw me. I wasn't expecting him to figure that out just by me skipping this meeting.

“Did you all come from the same pack?” He looked at my friends for a split second before turning back to me. I kept a straight face, not willing to give anything away.

That's not really any of your business,” I said with an attitude.

He gave me a sly smile and said, “It was just a question. No need to get your panties in a twist.”

My nostrils flared, and I was ready to wring his neck. “Excuse you! You may get away with speaking like that to the females in your own pack, but that doesn't fly with me.”

Caleb smiled after I said that.

I furrowed my brow. “Is something I said amusing?” I was so sick of males thinking they could talk to me however they wanted. I could feel the rage boiling to the surface.

It wasn't Caleb who answered my question, though. It was Garrett. “He's always liked feisty females.”

I turned to the gamma with fury written all over my face. Then I growled, louder than I meant to. Garrett immediately bowed his head. That made Caleb smile wider. It only confused me more.