The Awakening

Amara stood back and admired her work. The entire house had been swept from top to bottom, and now she was diligently scrubbing the stubborn blood stains that Damien's recent kill left off the countertop using a sponge and some floor wax. It was an old trick her mother had taught her when she was just a child, and it never failed her.

Kai strolled into the kitchen, reaching into the pantry to grab a bag of crisps. 'You know,' he said casually, 'We could always hire a maid.'

Amara paused, wiping the sweat from her brow with the sleeve of her polo shirt. 'Yeah, but why waste money when we can just... I don't know... clean up after ourselves?' She shot a disapproving glance at the crumbs Kai had just dropped onto the freshly cleaned floor.

With a sheepish smile, Kai picked up the crumbs. 

'But seriously, I don't like seeing you overwork yourself, baby.' He moved closer, wrapping his strong arms around Amara's slim waist. Her breath hitched as she felt something firm press against her back, clearly not a phone. Turning slightly within his embrace, Amara gave him a sultry grin. 

'You know how much I want our guests to feel at home. Maybe afterwards we can deal with your problem in the bedroom' she whispered, trailing a finger down the front of Kai's dark hoodie. She pulled the collar down, exposing his smooth, dark skin, and could feel the toned muscles ripple beneath the polyester.

Kai's eyes darkened with intent. 'I know a few ways we can feel at home,' he whispered suggestively before capturing her lips in a kiss. It was a passionate, intense kiss, all tongue, teeth, and urgency.

Jene stood at the entrance of the kitchen, debating whether to quietly retreat or gouge her eyes out with the toothpick Royley always had jammed in his mouth. Did Amara need to constantly remind her just how single she was? They lived in a huge mansion with plenty of rooms and private spaces, yet the lovebirds chose the kitchen, where they all ate, for their rendezvous.

'Lovely seeing you two preparing for our guest so nicely. Well done,' Jene remarked tauntingly, stretching as the pair sprang apart. Really, why bother hiding? Their lack of self-control was blatantly obvious. Amara knew her twin secretly wished she had someone to act romantically with too. She always had a snide remark whenever the two showed the slightest public display of affection.

'Hey, Jene,' Amara greeted, looking mortified. Her hair was a mess, her blouse askew, and during their heated moment, they had accidentally knocked some of the swept-up dirt in the broom pan over the floor wax. The once clean tiles she had worked so meticulously at were now back to square one.

'Oh great,' Amara exclaimed, exasperated.

'I'll take care of it; you go and rest,' Kai offered immediately. Amara nearly squeezed the life out of him with a grateful embrace. 

'Have I ever told you how much I love you?' Amara sang sweetly. Kai wiggled his thick dark brows at that question. 'Eh maybe once or twice.' He teased before giving the witch a quick peck on the lips. With that, she was gone, leaving Kai and Jene alone in the kitchen.

Amara and Kai shared a lingering glance, but neither said a word. The moment passed in silence, each of them lost in their thoughts.

Amara returned to her preparations with renewed determination. The kitchen incident with Kai was a brief distraction, but her primary focus quickly shifted back to ensuring everything was perfect for their guest, Lore. She had spent weeks meticulously researching everything she could about the fae, delving into ancient texts, and modern studies, and even consulting with a few experts in the field. Her goal was to make Lore's awakening and transformation as smooth and comfortable as possible.