Benefits of Separation

Another exhausting day at the senate. As Risa walked in the halls, she heard murmurs from different groups of senators and other high ranked officials discussing the recently approved divorce bill. She felt inferior to most of the people in the room. She was the lone opposition, and her stand for the bill is the complete opposite of the ones in the hall with her. She felt eyes looking at her and judging her every move.

"Salamat, nakarating din." She whispered to herself as she finally reached her office. She sat down in her chair and began reading through the files on her desk. Sometime later, she heard a knock on her door. The door slowly opened, revealing the senate's pro-tempore.

"Good morning, Sen. ano po ang kailangan nyo?" Risa asked with a smile in her face. The other senator in the room slowly walked towards her and sat down on a chair in front of Risa's desk.

"You're in favour of the divorce bill, right?" Loren asks firmly, to which Risa responded with "Yes po Sen, why do you ask?" Risa has always been in favour of the divorce bill. She even stated multiple times that it should be passed because women who are victim-survivors of domestic abuse need this legal recourse.

"Is that so? Then I need your help. I'm having doubts about it. You know, naman that I used to not be in favour of it. I want to do what's best, and if you convince me, I'll do everything I can to help pass this bill, " Loren stated. Risa's eyebrows rose up. This is going to be a long day, Risa said in her mind.

"Alright then, for starters, many women and actually men as well, but mostly women are suffering from abusive partners, not judt physically but mentally as well," the younger senator replied. "What about the children? Won't they suffer as well because their parents are not together anymore?" Loren asks. "Well, the divorce might actually help the children. With their parents separated, there is a possibility that they will have a much more peaceful life."

Loren simply nods in response. She was amazed how well the other senator responded with her questions.
"Let's have your life as an example, Sen." Risa said that made Loren even more interested. "You are annulled, am I correct?" Risa asks.
"Yes, that's correct," Loren answers. "Think about it. You had to kids with your former partner, yet you still considered annulment. It made your life better, did it not? You were able to live your own life to the fullest without having a loveless marriage or whatever you and your ex had gone through."

Loren thought about it and said. "But it was annulment, it's different from divorce," the younger senator  chuckled and said, "o
Of course it is, but it's similar. It's still legally separating from your partner. It's more cost efficient and could be done without having to hire expensive lawyers, which makes it much more accessible to the poor."

The younger senator struck some sense into Loren, which made her decision concrete. "Thank you, Sen Risa, for helping me with making this decision,"

"It's my pleasure, po Sen. Pwede ka pong mag tanong sa akin anytime. I'm happy to help. 'Yun lang po ba itatanong mo sa akin?"
Loren looks up in the ceiling and bit her lip. "Actually, no. I'd like to ask you out on dinner, pala. I'd like to discuss more about the Alice Guo and POGO case, but I don't have much free time. Okay lang ba sayo ang 7:30 pm sa Kaon... alam mo yung restaurant na 'yun, right?"

"Ah opo, alam ko. I'll meet you there nalang" Risa accepted the invitation even though she thought it was unusual for Loren to ask someone, let alone her, to dinner.

Reminders:
-This is just FICTION (hoy fiction nga eh, edi ibigsabihin hindi totoo.)
-'Wag seryosohin (bobo kaba fiction nga tapos seseryosohin mo)
-LenRisa parin ang malakas
-Hindi po ako mag p-publish ng wild chapters (baka kiss lang tapos yun na yun)
-Yes po may LenRisa ako na book dati (nilagay ko sa draft kasi ang corny nakakahiya)