Chapter 5

I had kept my face buried in his back the whole time he drove due to the fact that when I hadn’t, my eyes had nearly blown through my skull. Hitting 80 mph easily, Rocky had managed to drive us a distance of 20 miles in as little as 10 minutes. I was quite shocked actually.

He pulled up to an abandoned nightclub a few minutes later. The outside looked worn down and neglected. No sunlight touched the ground or even one inch of the building due to the fact that there were trees all around. I crossed my arms over my chest, sticking close to the unfamiliar boy next to me as we went inside.

The inside looked better than outside. Even though it was dark, I could still tell that the multicolored flashing floor looked almost new but was shut off. Up at the top on a stage was a DJ station with speakers bigger than me. To my left, there was bar. Around it were stools and off to the sides were some tables and sofas. I got so lost in looking around that I didn’t realize Rocky was halfway across the dance floor.

I hurried over to him and forced myself to keep up with his fast pace. “You know I’m missing school for this, right?”

“Trust me, school isn’t gonna matter once you go downstairs.”

Downstairs? I went to ask what was down there when he stopped by an empty space in the wall. Well, at least that’s what I thought it was until he pressed his hands against it. He closed his eyes for a moment, muttering something in a different language that I didn’t understand. A few seconds later, it moved inward, revealing a staircase. I stepped back, not exactly believing what I saw.

“Come on,” Rocky said as he started descending down the stairs.

Hesitating for only a moment, I followed and jumped when the wall slid back into place behind us. Well, I was fucked.

Twice I almost tripped over my own two feet only to have Rocky turn around and catch me with a speed I didn’t know was humanly possible. I found myself slipping into a small fantasy with him when a door opened, snapping me out of it. Jesus, Tera! Get it together!

My jaw hit the floor once we stepped inside. In front of us stood a big open space. All around it on the walls were weapons of all sorts and what looked like armor. The walls were made of metal and the floor looked to be covered in hardwood. God even knew what was under it. I let out a breath I hadn’t realized I was holding, stepping further into the room. “So, is this like... your secret lair?”

Rocky snorted, holding his hand to his mouth. “No... no it’s not... but that was quite a funny joke.”

I frowned at him and started looking around. My fingers brushed across the real steal and silver of the weapons which varied from daggers to guns. Another question dawned on me. “So, uhm, why exactly am I here?”

The smile on his face faded and he softly asked me from across the room, “Do you know what you are, Tera?”

“A human?” I guessed, raising an eyebrow at him as he strode closer.

“I said what you are, not who.”

I gave him a look then shrugged.

He tried a different approach. “Do you believe in myths? You know, Vampires, Werewolves, monsters?”

Slowly, I shook my head. “No...”

He bowed his head and sighed, and I could just make out him mumbling, “Why did they have to assign me this one...”

I moved closer to him, getting suspicious. “What the hell is going on?” He didn’t look up and I was starting to get a little impatient. “You know what? I’m not doing this. I came here for nothing.”