Chapter 3

Aaron walked me up to my front door and gave me a big, long hug. Before pulling away, he whispered in my ear, “If you need anything, you call, alright?”

I nodded and gave him a smile. “I will.”

He left without another word and I watched as he drove his black Mustang out of the driveway and disappeared into the dark. Sighing, I turned and stepped inside.

It was nearly midnight so all of the lights were off and there were no sounds. Silently, I made my way up the stairs and stopped at Joey’s room. I opened the door a bit to see him sleeping peacefully in his twin sized bed. I stepped inside and shuffled over to him, bending down and placing a kiss on his forehead. He let out a soft moan and turned over, clutching his teddy bear tightly to his chest.

I exited the room as quietly as I had entered, shutting the door with a soft click! When I turned around, I almost yelped when I ran into my brother’s lanky figure. He looked faintly similar to me with his black hair and green eyes. The only difference was he was much taller just like mostly everyone else I knew. “Why are you just getting home now?” he half whispered.

“Before I had fallen asleep at Aaron’s around 8 but I told him I had wanted to sleep in my own bed tonight,” I responded in the same tone.

David was quiet. “Someone called asking for you.”

“Who?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

He shrugged. “He wouldn’t say. He just said he would call back another time.”

My body immediately tensed and I could feel my blood running cold. Could this be the same guy I had encountered with twice? How the hell did he even know my name or where I lived? “Thanks, David.” As much as I hated my brother at times, he was still my sibling and that had to count for something. No matter how many fights we had or how many times we were the cause of each other’s injuries, we were always there for each other. “You know, it took you 21 years but I think you’re finally starting to grow up.”

He smirked and ruffled my hair. “Go get some rest.”

I didn’t argue. In my room, I changed into a comfy pair of plaid pajama pants and a white tank top. Throwing my long black hair up into a ponytail, I pulled back the covers on my bed and crawled under them, checking my phone to see I had a missed text from Rorey. All it asked was if I was alright.

Replying with a yeah, I clicked it off and put it on my nightstand next to my lamp. Clicking the light off, I curled up in the dark to find myself staring into the same dark red eyes. I suppressed a scream. One, because I didn’t want to wake anyone else up. Two, because they weren’t hurting me. And three, because I was honestly just too tired to care.

Before I closed my eyes, I saw two more set of red orbs. I slipped out of consciousness and woke up with no scratches, no red eyes staring at me, and exactly where I had fallen asleep. Maybe it was just a nightmare after all.

I stretched and swung my legs out of bed, moping out of my room and into the bathroom. Stripping out of my clothes, I turned on the hot water and stepped under it, letting it run over my body for ten minutes before I actually washed myself. All the thoughts that were racing through my head seemed to fade as the water engulfed me and by the time I was done, I felt like a new person. Well, that was until I stepped out of the shower and wiped the fog off the mirrors.

I stepped back at the sight. Just of last night, my body had still been covered in bruises and cuts. Now? Now, there was nothing. My skin was flawless and full of color. “What the hell?” I muttered and put my face really close to my reflection. My hands glided over every piece of skin, trying to take in the miracle that had happened.