2: Hunting the Predator

Nox paces as we wait in a room in the Bee and Barb in Riften. I lean back in my chair, sighing deeply and glancing over at Karliah. She pulls on a hood, gloves, a face mask, and a black set of robes. She shoves her feet into boots and then turns to us, the only part of her visible being her lavender eyes.

"Nox, I know you want to be on the front lines. But I'm taking Briar with me into Riften, and we are going to scout out the Guild."

"Whatever. Just .... be careful, okay? Both of you."

"Will do," I say.

Then, Karliah and I leave the tavern. We split up to be less conspicuous. I go toward the entrance to the Ratway, and she goes toward the mansion Mercer Frey lives in. I walk by the market, listening to the chatter of the people gathered around there.

No one seems to say anything interesting, but it is still good to listen. Then, I slip down the rickety wood planks that are the steps that lead down to the water.  It reeks of fish and mold and cold water. But, despite the unpleasant mix of smells, I continue on.

As soon as I open the wood door to the Ratway, I hear the voices of two men talking about something. I sigh and draw my daggers. Someone is going to die tonight.

When I round the corner, sneaking, neither of the two men sees me. Until I slit the first one's throat, shoving his body against his friend's. The other man cries out in rage as I leap over the dead man's back. I bury the bloody blade in the second one's throat.

I press on after looting them of their coin.

Trudging along, I make my way through several traps, a few overgrown rats, and a few other madmen. Before too long, I am right before the door that has the Thieves Guild symbol etched into the wall beside it. I stare at the symbol.

I'm tired, but I know I have to do this. Karliah and Nox are relying on me.

Knowing that I have to do this, I take another step toward the door. But that's when the doorknob turns, so I whirl and run, hiding in a darkened alcove. A man walks out through the door, walking toward the secret pathway that will take him to the streets of Riften.

I stare at the man, the Breton with short, brown hair and dark, cold eyes. He grips a Dwarven sword's hilt as he walks by on nearly silent feet, not even his boots scraping the stone floor.

Mercer. That has to be him.

I have found him, Mercer Frey, my father. The man who killed my mother.