Chapter 5 - Katsuki Bakugou Doesn't Get Crushes

The day was a busy one right from the get-go. 

There was no Bakugou that day, which bothered Izuku some, but he doesn't dwell on it. There was no time--not with the line out the door that they'd had all morning. 

They finally reach a slight pause between rushes mid-afternoon, and Toga takes that opportunity to step into the back for a break, leaving him at the counter alone. He lazes against the counter to relax, but the moment he does, the little bell above the door rings. Moving back into a standing position, he turns to greet the customer.

 "Hi! Wel-" he cuts himself off mid-sentence when he sees who it is. 

As much as Izuku likes to say he doesn't care about heroes anymore, it still doesn't stop him from fangirling whenever he sees one in person. 

"Hey, there!" says the hero. 

"Chargebolt," Izuku breathes. "Ohmygosh, hello! What can I make for you? It'll be on the house of course; I can make you anything you want!" 

The hero gives him a quick up-and-down glance as he struts over to the counter. 

"You can call me Kaminari if you want," he says. "Cuties like you shouldn't have to call me by my hero name." he winks, and Izuku immediately feels a blush creep up his neck. 

"Right, um, okay! What can I make for you?" He tries to keep his cool, but he's ninety-nine percent sure that the hero might be... flirting

"What do you recommend?" 

"It depends on what kinds of flavors you like, I guess. I can really make anything if I know what your tastes are." 

"I like them sweet." He leans against the counter with a grin. "Strong, by the looks of it, and maybe a tad... fruity?"

Izuku blushes. Hard. 

"So, like... tea? Maybe?" 

"Whatever you make, I'm sure I'll love it!" he chuckles and gives Izuku a thumbs-up. 

Tea it is. 

He turns around and starts to make the drink. The air is tense, but he pushes through, trying not to be as awkward about this as he would typically be. Not only does he have a hero in his coffee shop, but he's like way sure he's being hit on. Or maybe he's just being nice... Izuku isn't sure. He's never been good at recognizing that kind of stuff. 

He's severely inexperienced in the dating department. 

"So, what's your name, cutie?" Kaminari asks. 

"Izuku Midoriya!" he squeaks, not bothering to turn around. He knew he must be red as a tomato by now and didn't want to embarrass himself. 

"That's a pretty name," he replies smoothly. "So, Midoriya, are you single?"

Dang, that's forward. 

Now he knows for sure he's being hit on, and he's not quite sure what to say or do about it. While he's flattered, he's not interested. He hardly has time for himself right now, so even considering the idea of dating seems like a joke. 

"I don't date." There. Simple. Straightforward, but not a harsh rejection. Right

He has no clue how this sort of thing is supposed to go. 

"That's a shame!" Kaminari laments. Izuku turns around and sets the tea on the counter. "Such a waste of that pretty face of yours. Thank you for the drink!"

Izuku blushes yet again, and the hero takes his drink and leaves. 

* * * 

Friday rolled around much quicker than Katsuki wanted it to. He rolls up in front of the bar that the class rented out for the reunion and heads inside with a sigh.