prologue

TW: BLOOD

𝙇𝙐𝘾𝘼'𝙎 𝙋𝙊𝙑

I see an old memory of mine. I see myself, a younger version, 13 years old, terrified. Helpless. 

My closest friend, Alberto, ended up revealing himself as a sea monster to our friend Giulia. How would I let this happen?

 I was so scared; I didn't want Giulia to know. I didn't want any of the humans to know, so I acted without any thought.

 "Sea monster!" I cried. I quiver in fear as I regret what I had just done. I should have thought before that.

"Luca...?" Alberto uttered. I looked into his terrified emerald eyes, near tears. Saying that was a really bad idea. I ruined it all, but I must not show weakness. I'm already weak enough. I don't want to look weak in front of Alberto, even if he absolutely hates me. Even though he's seen me at my weakest.

"Sea monster?! This way!" I hear Ercole exclaim in the distance. He was with his apprentices, Guido and Cicco, and they all had harpoons in their hand. This isn't what I think it could be, right? 

"Ragazzi, NOW!" Ercole demands. They pitched the harpoons toward Alberto's direction.

"NO!" I screamed with all of my breath. 

Then I witnessed his death. The last person he saw was his enemy, a boy he once called his best friend. One of the harpoons shot him. Tears were falling from Alberto's eyes, and crimson blood was dripping from his stomach and dropped to the water. A small portion of the water became red.

I can't help but cry now. I loved him, he meant the world to me. Now I will never see him again.

"ALBERTO!" I cried.

"O-oh," he started, and then he started coughing. Blood shot from his mouth, "I-I'm sorry... for everything," he apologized as he toppled to the ground.

What was he sorry for? It's not his fault.. it's mine. I'm the reason he's dead. He's gone. My love is gone..

I wake up, staying alert. I realize I am panting and my eyes are watery. I am shocked, terrified, but also confused.

"Grazie a Dio.. that was just a dream," I pant to myself. It is truly a relief, I don't remember Alberto dying.. And three summers ago, I promised him I would never make that mistake again. I don't wanna hurt him again. 

I won't let anyone hurt him again.

ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED JUNE 2024

EDITED SEPTEMBER 2024