xlvi

𝐃𝐎𝐑𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐀, 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐄, 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐒𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐔𝐒 𝐇𝐔𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐌𝐂𝐆𝐎𝐍𝐀𝐆𝐀𝐋𝐋, not believing what she had just said they could do. In all her years at Hogwarts, Dorothea couldn't recall a time when any teacher gave them permission to blow something up.

"Let me get this straight, Professor," Neville said. "You're actually giving us permission to do this?"

"That is correct, Longbottom," McGonagall confirmed.

"To blow it up?" Dorothea asked. "Boom?"

"Boom!"

"Wicked. But how on earth are we gonna do that?" Neville questioned.

"Why don't you confer with Mr. Finnigan?" McGonagall suggested. "As I recall, he has a particular proclivity for pyro-technics."

"I can bring it down." Seamus grinned.

"I've always wanted to blow something up," Dorothea admitted with a mischievous smile.

"That's the spirit," McGonagall said. "Away you go."

The three hurried back inside the castle, shoving their way through the sea of students. Dorothea thought she heard someone calling out her name, so she turned around and saw Tonks, who ran up and wrapped her in a bone-crushing hug.

"What are you doing here?!" the two sisters asked in unison. "I'm here to fight. What do you mean you're here to fight?"

"Okay, okay, one at a time," Tonks said. She placed her hands on Dorothea's shoulders. "Dottie, it's too dangerous here. Go home."

"No, you go home. Teddy needs you," Dorothea stated.

"He's sleeping. And he's not alone, Mum is with him. I couldn't just stay there knowing that the rest of the Order was here to fight. It's you who needs to—"

"I've already been over this with Remus," Dorothea interrupted. "I can't go home knowing that my friends, and now you, are in danger. Besides, McGonagall gave Neville, Seamus, and me a job to do. I already promised Remus that I'd leave if it got too dangerous."

"Dorothea, it's already dangerous! You're not a trained Auror! There's a bounty on your head—"

"There's one on yours, too, Nymphadora! I know that Bellatrix wants us dead, and that's why I need to be here!" Dorothea fought back tears as she looked up at her big sister, begging for her to understand why she needed to stay. "She won't stand a chance against both of us."

"I don't need you to protect me, Thea," Tonks said, slowly shaking her head.

"I know you don't." Dorothea's voice broke. "But you're the only big sister I have...I need you. I can't go home and wait around all night hoping you'll make it back alive. I know the risks of being here tonight, Dora, and I'm willing to take them if it means we'll both make it home in the morning."

Tonks pulled her baby sister into another hug, holding her close. She kissed the top of her head. "Stay with Neville, and be safe," she whispered. "I love you, Dottie. Never forget that."

"I love you, too," Dorothea replied, a single tear falling down her face. She quickly wiped it away.

Tonks gave Neville a nod when Dorothea went over to him, which he returned before taking his friend's hand and leading her outside to the bridge. While Seamus got everything set up, they would distract the Death Eaters.

Dorothea held tightly onto the amethyst necklace her sister had given her before she started at Hogwarts. In the distance, she could see an army of Snatchers and Death Eaters charging towards them. She pulled out her wand as they got closer, her heart pounding in her chest.