2. facing the past

This chapter is not edited so you may find some grammatical mistakes; please ignore them.

____________

Anya's POV:

I waited for another agonizing 20 minutes before my parents and my oh-so-dear sister decided to grace us with their presence. Mom was absorbed in yet another important phone call, and Tanya was busy texting away like the world depended on it. As for Dad, well, he was also lost in his phone, probably crunching numbers or sealing deals.

Finally, they strolled down, Mom cutting off her call to give me a once-over. "Your dress is stunning, dear. It really flatters your figure."

"Thanks, Mom," I replied with a tight smile. I knew her praise wasn't about my appearance; it was about maintaining appearances-hers. She had a reputation to uphold, after all.

Mom and Tanya looked radiant, as always. Mom, pushing 50 but looking like she was in her late 30s, and Tanya, well, she had that effortlessly polished look that made me envious-not of their beauty, but of their patience for those two-hour skincare routines they seemed to relish. I tried it once, lasted all of three days. Go figure.

Dad had already made his way to the car, and Mom would follow once she wrapped up her "important" call-typical. Tanya, in her predictable fashion, darted off to touch up her makeup. So, I did what any ignored sibling would do-I headed to the car with Dad. We seldom had meaningful conversations at family dinners, which were rare occurrences anyway. If we did gather, it was usually at a restaurant, and the talking? Mostly about work or the latest business dealings. Family bonding was not our forte.

Ten minutes into the drive, and not a word had been exchanged. It was eerie, being with them. I felt out of place, suffocated, like the air was thinning around me. You know that feeling when you're about to cry, and your throat tightens, and you can barely breathe? That's how I felt around them.

There was nothing I could do about it, so I turned my attention to the window, letting the wind kiss my skin. The cool breeze offered a brief respite, and I closed my eyes, letting it wash over me. Ten more minutes passed before we arrived at the hotel-a massive structure that seemed to have grown since I last saw it. Dad's pride and joy, this place. I always dreamed it would have a shopping area, and lo and behold, it did.

Inside, shimmering lights adorned the walls, casting a vintage vibe with touches of gold that spoke of luxury. It wasn't just a hotel; it was a statement, complete with its own shopping arcade. Dad's first hotel, and my childhood dream come true.

On our way to our table, Mom casually mentioned that another family would be joining us. Surprise, surprise-it was the family of the guy Tanya was about to marry. Not that I was shocked; my family had a knack for keeping me out of the loop. Just another day in the life of being the unimportant Wilson daughter.

Honestly, I couldn't care less who Tanya was marrying. What did bother me was how little my opinion or knowledge mattered in my own family. But hey, betrayal wasn't new to me. I'd get over it.

As they settled at our table-Mom, Dad, and Tanya in their element-I noticed the approach of the Reynolds family. Noah and Ryan, with their parents in tow-the people from my past who had, for better or worse, shaped my present. Noah, still as captivating as ever, though I had long stopped letting his looks dazzle me. And Ryan, with those striking forest-green eyes that seemed to see through me, understanding me in a way no one else did.

It had been seven long years since I left for abroad, hoping distance would untangle the mess of emotions I left behind. Yet here they were, Noah and Ryan, walking back into my life as if no time had passed at all.

Noah's gaze met mine, and for a moment, time stood still. I sensed surprise in his eyes, mixed with something deeper that I couldn't quite decipher. A flood of nostalgia, uncertainty, and a flicker of the old attraction we once shared rushed through me.

But just as abruptly, Noah looked away, a shield of aloofness replacing the vulnerability I glimpsed. His sudden withdrawal left me stinging, realizing there were emotions he wasn't ready to confront-perhaps feelings he hadn't come to terms with.

In that charged moment, a thought crossed my mind. Could Tanya, my elder sister, be engaged to Noah? They had a brief fling in high school, adding yet another layer of complexity to our intertwined relationships. The uncertainty gnawed at me, amplifying the already tumultuous emotions swirling within.

As Noah and I exchanged that intense gaze, I felt a surge of emotions. But before I could gather my thoughts, my instincts drew me to Ryan's eyes. When our gazes finally met, my heart skipped a beat.

In Ryan's eyes, I saw the unmistakable pain of a heart quietly breaking over the years. The longing and sorrow he kept concealed behind a carefully constructed facade were now laid bare, just for that fleeting moment. It was a vulnerability only I had ever glimpsed, a connection that time and distance hadn't erased.

His eyes softened briefly, betraying the tears that threatened to spill over, but he quickly composed himself. I watched as he wiped away any trace of vulnerability and turned his attention to Tanya, offering her a warm smile. He moved towards her, taking a seat beside her as if to shield himself from the emotions he couldn't display.

And in that moment, it dawned on me-it was Ryan who Tanya was about to marry. The realization hit me like a punch to the gut, sending a wave of pain through me. Yet, I pushed aside my own hurt, my own questions, and forced my mind elsewhere.

If he was about to marry Tanya, why did I still see the old Ryan in his eyes? Why the hurt, the pain, the longing? I could break myself in a million ways for his happiness, but he didn't seem happy. Why, Ryan? Why marry if it brings you no joy?

They settled in, exchanging pleasantries, but I couldn't bring myself to look at them. I was too busy collecting the shattered pieces of my heart. Mrs. Reynolds approached me with a warm smile.

"It's wonderful to see you after all these years, Anya, dear."

I returned the gesture, masking my turmoil. "It's nice to see you too, Auntie."

"What have you been up to, sweetheart? Are you planning to stay long this time?" Her genuine interest softened my heart-a rare moment of maternal warmth I hadn't known before meeting her.

"As you know, I'm a fashion designer now, Auntie. And yes, I plan to stick around for a while. The future is uncertain."

"That's fantastic! I hope you'll design Ryan and Tanya's wedding attire," she said excitedly.

"Ah, sure," I managed, forcing a smile that didn't quite reach my eyes.

"Actually, I need to make an important call. Please excuse me," I excused myself, making a beeline for the restroom.

In my haste, I collided with a passing waiter, who unfortunately happened to be carrying a tray of juice-juice that now adorned my beautiful dress.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry, ma'am! It was an accident, I swear," he pleaded, as if his life hung in the balance of my forgiveness.

"You're not the first person to spill something on me. Don't worry about it. Some people have done far worse to my mental health," I retorted with a tight smile, then rushed to the restroom, not caring about the state of my dress anymore.

Inside, I closed the door and sank to the floor, hugging my knees tightly. Memories flooded back, engulfing me like a tidal wave.

**************

I know, this chapter is not that interesting as well. But I promise, from chapter three it will take a new turn.

Please vote, comment and follow.

And thanks for reading!