Chapter 9:Woodland Snare (II)

Opening

_________________________________________

[Meanwhile, in another part of the Kloden Wildwood.]

Rosie: You find the boss and Alicia?

Largo: Naw, still nothin'.

Isara: The Edelweiss still requires maintenance.

Rosie: Isara. How about you quit missin' around and help us look?

Isara: The Edelweiss still requires maintenance.

Rosie: Your own brother's gone missing here and you'd rather be doin' maintenance work than look?

Isara: It's because he's missing that I'm doing this. We have no idea when he'll be back, but...making sure the Edelweiss is ready for him is the best thing I can do for him now.

[Rosie seems surprised at Isara's caring.]

Rosie: Hmph. Not like I care either way.

Largo: I hear what you're saying, kid. Just be sure you rest up while you can. You been workin' since first thing this morning. You're Squad 7's only tank pilot. If you pass out on us, we're all toe up, hear me? Gettin' a good night's rest is another thing you can do for your brother right now.

Isara: I understand. Thank you for your advice, Largo.

Largo: Oh...sure.
____________________________________

[Daylight has broken at the cottage.]

Alicia: Welkin, I...I couldn't do anything for that poor man. He was lying there asking me for help, but...all I could do was watch him die.

Welkin: That's not true. You helped him in a way only you could, Alicia. The look on his face when he passed on wasn't one of pain.

Alicia: No, I guess you're right. Thank you, Welkin. I'd always just thought of the Imperials as monsters out to kill Gallians...but they're just as human as we are, huh? With families of their own to fight for.

Welkin: Yeah...they are.

Alicia: It's like the war started and we all forgot that. It's so simple, but...if we weren't at war, he might be back at home with his family now.

[Welkin sighs.]

Alicia: Hey, Welkin...did I ever tell you I don't have one? A family, I mean. I grew up in an orphanage. I don't even know my parents' names.

Welkin: No, you didn't.

Alicia: But maybe I'm actually lucky, huh? If you...if you never have a family in the first place, you can't ever lose them. I guess being all alone has its perks. (laughs softly)

Welkin: Don't even joke about it. You know you're not alone. You've got me and Is, everybody in Squad 7. We're all a family now, Alicia.