An Unusual Pairing

November 1st 1979 / Sayreville, New Jersey

"Dream on Johnny. You're good-lookin' but you're not that good-lookin'."

John Bongiovi's eyes sought out the pinnacle of his teenage emotions: Amelia Sambora, recently transferred after being suspended from her previous school.

While John may have been the first Sayreville High School student Miss Sambora had spoken to, her good looks and hardened disposition had quickly acquired her more friends and followers than John ever had in his seventeen years of life.

In fact, you could say Amelia Sambora had an entourage of giggling girls everywhere she went. And John was now nothing but her lonely history partner.

"Maybe she isn't shallow like you, Davey. Maybe she's a nice girl."

"Yeah. With friends like Tammy? If the kid wasn't evil before she's long gone now. What do I always say John? You can't trust women, especially not the pretty ones. They'll eat you for breakfast, lunch, and dinner."

"Oh stop." He whacked his cynical friend across the arm.

He caught sight of his favoured brunette across the field. He mustered some dormant courage and he smiled at her, earning a shy reciprocation.

"See? She smiled at me. She's a nice girl, I'm tellin' ya."

"Yeah yeah, they're all nice until their blood suckin' teeth come out. Look- look!"

The two girls beside Amelia, Tammy and Lucinda, steered Amelia clear from the direction of John and David, likely whispering old rumours and nasty remarks about the two long haired boys ahead.

"What'd I tell you?"

"So what? She's in with a bad crowd. Who's to say she's anything like Tam and Luce?"

The pair made eye contact across the field. Even as Tammy's meddling mitts dragged Amelia away, the girl still smiled at her ardent admirer. That smile was enough to melt his tender teenaged heart.

"She ain't like 'em Dave, I know she isn't. That's the girl for me."

"What, because she's cute? She ain't even rock n' roll." David could hardly hide his dismay.

"She got expelled for fighting, she might not be a total priss. And if she is, who cares?"

"Mark my words John, stay away from her. Girls like that do you more harm than good."

John could hardly take his eyes off her. Even with her back turned to him she was the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen. She was the exact type of girl he'd been waiting for to show up at the stinking old Sayreville Memorial High. Teased hair, leather jackets with Springsteen patches ironed on, fishnets hanging on by a thread. And yet she was no rockstar, he knew that much. No, Amelia Sambora was a smart girl with a bright future ahead of her.