Chapter Eleven: One by One

Kor struggled to match the pace of the adults, and his eagerness to reunite with Aphid and reach the village was evident in his urgent tugs on Tephelle's hand. But the adults were firm, refusing to let him run ahead, and so he remained tethered to Tephelle as they navigated the treacherous woods.

Llandra and Naetri flanked the group, their eyes scanning the darkness for any sign of danger, and Kor scanning for any signs of his brother.

But suddenly, one of the hunters' keen senses detected they were being watched. Without hesitation, Naetri and Llandra released their arrows, striking down two wolves that emerged from the shadows. A third wolf, wiser than its companions, retreated into the darkness, its footsteps fading into the night.

Normally, the hunters would have celebrated their bounty, but tonight they left their kills behind, prioritizing their mission to escort their new friends back to the village.

Kor lost all sense of time as they traversed the woods, but finally, he spotted the sight of the village in the distance, bathed in moonlight. The marsh glimmered, and the village's outline rose beyond it, a dark silhouette. Naetri and Llandra had led them to a different entry point, closer to the village than where they had initially entered the woods.

As they neared the treeline, Kor's excitement got the better of him. He tried to break free from Tephelle's grasp, eager to dash into the village and call out for Aphid. But Tephelle held firm, covering his mouth with her hand to stifle his outburst. Dahni's cautionary words, too, echoed in Kor's mind - they still needed to be vigilant, to approach with careful eyes and silent tongues.

Kor didn't like it. He just wanted to run in, get his brother, and be done with this nightmare, but he supposed he understood. The bandits could still be inside and maybe Aphid needed rescuing.

The adults scanned the scene, their faces grave. The village was shrouded in darkness, with only a few flickering embers illuminating the burnt buildings. The air was thick with the smell of smoke, almost comforting in its familiarity, like a giant hearth. But as they crept closer, the scent of death wafted out...

Everyone froze, Kor included, but his determination soon got the better of him. He tugged on Tephelle's hand, his grip shaky but insistent, urging her forward. His eyes pleaded with her to let him go, to let him find Aphid and make sure he was safe, but Tephelle still held on.

As they reached the village edge, they peered cautiously through an entrance, met with an unsettling stillness and darkness. Dahni and Naetri ventured in first, their footsteps quiet and deliberate as they scouted ahead. Dahni relit a few braziers on his return, casting flickering shadows on the faces of Llandra, Tephelle, and Kor.

"Alright, Kor," Dahni said gently, "it seems the raiders have fled or fallen. Let's search for Aphid, but we must tread carefully inside the houses and shops, as they're unstable. Listen closely for your brother's voice, in case he's trapped beneath debris."
Kor nodded eagerly and dashed in, calling out for Aphid, with Tephelle close behind.

Naetri and Llandra approached Dahni, their faces somber. "What does Aphid look like?" Naetri asked, her voice low. "In case we find him... or his body." Dahni's expression turned grave as he described Aphid's appearance: tall and slender, with a broad chest, rusty hair chopped short on one side, and piercing pale blue eyes. Naetri and Llandra nodded and dispersed to search the village, each one hoping to find Aphid alive.

Kor rushed to the house where Aphid had been working. As he entered, memories of Aphid's warm smile and teasing voice telling him to come "pester him" if he needed anything flashed Kor's mind, but Kor fought back tears, focusing on the dark space ahead.

He ventured down the hall, Tephelle's gentle grasp on his shoulder offering comfort, but Kor pressed on, determined to find his brother.

As they reached a large pile of something on the floor, Kor's eyes adjusted to the dim light, revealing the crumpled bodies that laid there.