2. James

"James, hurry up!"

"Ugh, I told you I don't want to go," I grumbled.

My dad appeared in my bedroom doorway. "And I told you, we're going," he said. He was a tall man with short brown hair and a sharp jawline. My step-mom Leah loved to comment on how lucky she was to marry such a handsome man. I always rolled my eyes at her when she said that, but I loved her. She brought out the best in my dad, as well as my brother and me.

"Fine, let's go" I muttered, getting off of my bed.

"Where's your suitcase?" he asked.

"In my closet," I responded, walking across my room to pull it out of my incredibly disorganized closet.

"We need to leave in five minutes," my dad reminded me.

"I know, I know," I grumbled, rubbing my tired eyes.

As my dad left to go downstairs, my brother Miles popped his head into my room.

"Man, you gotta get over her at some point," he shook his head.

"Shut up." I rolled my eyes in annoyance and brushed past him with my suitcase trailing behind me.

"I'm just saying!" Miles said, following me down the carpeted stairs.

"And I'm saying you need to stop talking," I shot back. "Get your stuff ready to go."

"I've been ready for the past week," he grinned as we crossed the living room to the entryway.

I rolled my eyes and placed my suitcase by the door. Our family was taking a trip to Leah's beach cottage on Prince Edward Island. I had never stepped foot outside of Ontario, so I should've been excited, but I couldn't have cared less.

We all filed out of the house, carrying our belongings to the car. I felt the afternoon sun hit me and regretted wearing such a warm hoodie.

"James, what's in this?" my dad asked when lifting my suitcase into the back of the cab. "Why is it so heavy?"

"It's nothing," I muttered. I had brought minimal clothing, instead opting for books and my mini telescope. Leah told me the stars over PEI were beautiful, the one reason I was excited for the trip. Plus, her and Dad promised we'd shop for clothing there.

I sighed, getting into the cab. I gazed out of the window during the drive, watching the city pass us on the way to the airport. Leah and Dad talked on and on about what they wanted to do once we got there. I, for one, was ready to spend a summer locked in my room. Maybe a few walks on the beach.

After going through security at the airport, and the hour and half wait to even get on the airplane, I sat in the window seat with a book in hand.

"I don't get why you want the window seat if you're just going to read the whole time," Miles said from beside me.

"Whatever," I said, leaning my head against the window.

I barely heard the safety check, my brain only tuning in as they reminded us to put our phones on airplane mode. I pulled mine out of the front pocket of my shorts, tapping it to light up the screen.

No new messages.

It didn't surprise me, but still hurt. I didn't know why I remiained hopeful. She wasn't going to message me. I didn't even want to talk to her. Still, it would've been nice to know she was hurting too.

She's not hurting, I reminded myself. She's off with someone new. Get over it.

Sighing, I switched my phone to airplane mode and closed my eyes, wishing for summer on PEI to include at least one happy memory.