Chapter 6

Dahlia's POV

"Ooh. Ooh. Stop there," I say, leaning over to his side, while he drives, to point out his window.

"Alright, alright." Kieran chuckles. "Calm down before we get into an accident."

He stops the car beside one of Dublin's numerous shops. I hop out and dash into the first flower shop I've spotted since our arrival. Surrounded by flowers, I survey my options, a sense of familiarity washing over me.

I had basically grown up in my mother's greenhouse. Her love for flowers is the reason my parents met. She would explain to me what each flower meant and how to take care of them, and the intriguing fact that sometimes the most stunning flowers can be the most dangerous.

I whirled around to face Kieran, who stood with a sly smile and his hands tucked in his pockets. "What's your mom's top pick for flowers?"

"Darlin' you don't need to do all of this. My mother would just be happy meeting you." He shakes his head, but I see the appreciation in his eyes as he watches me.

"No Kieran. I can't go empty handed. I have my 'meet the mom' cardigan and now I need flowers. Also does your mother drink or is she more of a chocolate person?"

"What are you talking about?" He lets out a small bout of laughter and I revel in the sound.

"My best friend, Jada, gave me a list of the things that I'm supposed to do and I'm going to execute them perfectly." I head towards the chocolate and Kieran grabs onto my hand and pulls me back into his chest.

"My mother will love you either way" A pained look enters his eyes as he looks down at me. "It's silly to waste your time on this stuff when you're only going to see her once."

"Hey," I brush my fingers across his face. "Where are you right now? If it's about airfare I will gladly pay for it."

"It's not that," he steps back and scrubs his hands down his face. "It's just really hard to see my mom."

His mood suddenly shifts. "You know what you're right. You should make a good impression on my mother because you'll be the only woman she ever meets. She has a soft spot for gardenias."

Taken aback I try to keep the smile from my face but fail miserably when I feel my cheeks heat. Turning, I make my way back into the maze of flowers. Gardenias, considered symbols of secret love and purity, are known for their fragrant white blossoms and waxy, glossy leaves. I pick out the prettiest bunch and head over to the register.

As I'm about to pay Kieran places down a bouquet of deep red tulips. "Add these to it." He pulls out his card and hands it to the cashier.

"You know it's technically not flowers from me if you pay for it."

"Well then, this will just be our little secret." He winks at me and takes his card back. Grabbing the flowers off the counter he takes my hand with the other and I swear I swoon a little.

As we drove along the road, I couldn't help but smile at the beauty around me. The streets were bustling with people going about their day. I found myself wondering if they were all heading home after a long day of work or simply enjoying a leisurely stroll. Suddenly, a child caught my attention as she toddled towards her mother, clutching a flower in her tiny hand.

The girl's mother crouches down and accepts the flower with a genuine smile. She plants a soft kiss on her daughter's cheek, revealing her white teeth in a bright smile. I can't help but let out a sigh as I realize I'll never experience that kind of normalcy.

Ryder's voice echoes in my mind: 'We'll never have a normal life, Dahl, we were born into this world of chaos and we can't escape it.'

Out of everyone, he should know this best. The sacrifices he' made since turning eighteen, takes a toll on him. To the point where he made a vow to never let himself fall in love. He witnessed my parents' struggles and how my father always worried for my mother's well-being. He couldn't bear to live in a constant state of anxiety like that. That's why he began a physical relationship with my former best friend Nevaeh. He was certain that no emotions would ever grow between them, and it's likely that he can't have children either.