20. No Pain No Gain

The trucks sped away. The airbags deployed, shattered windshield lay across the car's interior, glinting in the sunlight. The acrid smell of burnt rubber and dust filled the SUV.

Neha looked around assessing what just happened. She took a deep breath, "B..bhaiya? You okay?"

Arjun hummed. "You?"

She took another deep breath and picked up her phone to call the ambulance. "We met with an accident near exit 8 of the highway. Sending the location." She heard the other side and answered.

Arjun remembered when there was a fire in the mansion, the two were at home.

"Arjun," His Kaka shook him by the shoulders. "What do we do when there's an emergency?" His voice was stern, but low.

"C-call for h-help." A 12 years old Arjun answered.

"Yes. Call first, panic later. Don't forget this, ever."

Neha got out of the car, the window was smashed, door was crumpled, crushing Arjun on his right side. The pieces of broken glass piercing his face and hand began to sting. The adrenaline was pumping.

Neha was about to pull the door open but realised that it might do more harm. She called Sameer, "Bhai, we had an accident. Bhaiya is badly injured. I called the ambulance."

"What? I.. I'll be there. Where are you two now?"

"Meet us at the hospital, the ambulance will be here anytime."

"Okay, I'm coming."

Ambulance reached there in a few minutes.

~

Sanjeevani Hospital

Arjun was taken to the emergency room. He had several internal injuries on his right side. Neha was waiting outside. A nurse dressed her wounds.

After what seemed like an eternity the doctor came out, "He is stable now. There are some contusions and some internal bleeding but fortunately no fractured bones. We are keeping him under observation for 24 hours."

"Anything to be worried about, doctor?"

"No. You brought him on time. He is fine." The doctor assured.

"Can I meet him?"

"Only for few minutes, he needs rest."

"Thank you doctor."

Arjun was shifted to the ICU. He was given strong painkillers. They were constantly monitoring his blood pressure and pulse.

Neha sat beside him, "Bhaiya, how are you feeling?"

"Better."

She looked at his hand, the bruises had turned blue, "This looks like some super dope tattoo, doesn't it?"

Arjun smiled, "Yes."

"You should get a full arm tattoo like this!"

"Will see."

"Okay, sleep tight, don't let the bed-bugs bite!" She chuckled.

"I hope there are no bugs here, except you."

"Then you're lucky. If you need anything, call me. I'm around."

"Don't worry, I'm fine."

"I know superhero, you'll always say that. Now take rest." She smiled and went out.

Sometime later, Sameer and team reached there. Neha was sitting on the bench outside ICU.

"Neha, how is Arjun?" Sameer sat beside her, "How did this accident happen?"