15

"C'mon sweets! I need to get y'all to school. We're already late!" I called as I was rushing around the house. Why was I rushing? Because my freaking alarm decided to not wake me up this morning! Now my kids and I are late!

After I tied my hair up, I sighed when neither of my kids were down the stairs already. I decided to go up there myself and see what was going on. I walked into Emma's room first and I saw her trying to look for something. "What are you looking for baby? Why aren't we downstairs yet?" I asked and she turned to me, pouting. "Poppy. I can't find him, and I don't want to leave without him," she tells me and I recalled putting him in the washer and dryer. I walked to the laundry room and retrieved the doll. This doll was given to her by her father when she was just a newborn, so it's reasonable for her to be like this. She normally leaves it, but today is different.

Because today is the anniversary of her father's passing.

She brightened up at the sight and she hugged me. "Thank you mommy!" She exclaimed and I smiled. "It's okay baby. Now head down the stairs, we are really late," I said to her and she nodded her head. She hurried out and walked down the stairs. I headed to Benjamin's room and he was looking for something too.

"Are you looking for your cleats darling?" I asked and he nodded his head. "They are downstairs by the door. Let's go," I said and he looked confused. "C'mon . You never picked them up when I told you to," I explained and he walked out with me and we walked to the front door. He sighed with relief when he saw them laying there. He grabbed them and I called for Emma. She was quick to get to me and we were walking fast out the door and to my car. I helped them get in and I buckled them up before I got in the driver's seat. I backed out of the driveway once the car turned on and I drove to my kids school.

"Now your Aunt Gemma will be picking you two up today as mommy will need to make up the time that she lost, okay?" I asked and the two of them nodded their heads. "You be good and listen to your teachers, yeah? Do your work and have fun at practice Ben," I then said and they both were all smiled as they said, "Okay mommy!" "Now give me a hug and be on your way," I tell them and they both took turns hugging me. They soon started to hurry to the front doors and I stood up, watching them get inside of the school.

"Wait for me!" I heard a girl shout and I looked to see Darcy running towards my kids. My kids did stop to turn and see who was shouting and they brightened at the sight of their friend.

"So I'm guessing that you woke up late too?" I jumped and turned my head to see Louis standing right next to me. I smiled at him and nodded my head. "Yeah, my alarm just decided not to go off, and then I was helping them find their stuff. Emma with her doll and Ben with his cleats." "Emma brought a doll? I thought she grew out of that. Not judging or anything." "She did, but this one is a bit more special than the others. She brings that one with her everywhere at a day like this. With this being the day that her father passed." "Oh. I'm sorry," he apologized and I looked at him. "Why are you saying sorry. You didn't know. It's not like you keep this day saved in your phone or anything. We do need to get to work though, so I'll see you there!" I chirped and walked away to get back to my car.

....
"My apologies chief," I said as I was standing in his office. "What for? Just wanted to see if everything is alright. I know what today is after all," he said as he was looking at me with concern. "Oh. I'm okay. I really am this time. Like I'm grieving of course. Have been for years, but it's not negatively effecting me anymore. I think it's because of Officer Tomlinson, but regardless, I'm thinking positively today," I said truthfully. I have lied before on how I was feeling whenever this day would come, so I can see why he would be concerned.

Now though... Things are different. Like there is no time on grief, I know that. I'll never get over him. I'll never stop grieving. This will be a lifetime type of thing. However, I think with my relationship with Louis, going to therapy, and of course with my kids, I am actually able to look on the bright side on this.