𝔗𝔯𝔞𝔠𝔨𝔢𝔯 𝔓𝔞𝔯𝔱 2

Law is the rule according to which the existence of things can be determined.

- Immanuel Kant (1724 - 1804)

"Tracker..." I whispered to myself as my grey-blue eyes followed the water droplets as they drifted down. They passed the red marks left by my great-grandmother's firm grip on my hand. I could still see the crescent-shaped imprints of her fingernails, reddishly marking today's horror.

Lost in thought, I let my hand slide back into the now colder water, my back leaning against the tub following suit. The back-length hair floated around me, covering most of my upper body in the water, tickling my skin and wrapping around my arms.

"A tracker...a tracker... he's a tracker." I continued to mumble to myself, repeating my great-grandmother's words repeatedly.

Today's events played out in slow motion in front of my inner eye, seeming senseless and blind to outsiders. Even my family saw her words as an act of her advanced dementia and didn't attach any meaning to them, unlike me. Despite her diagnosis and her memory of living in the past, there was too much overlap between my visions and what she said, her warnings.

My head leaned against the edge of the bathtub.

The term "tracker" was not unknown in the human world, where technology was used ubiquitously to collect and monitor data and track movements in the real world.

"Track...track...".

My wet hands rose from the water and travelled to my face. The damp warmth enveloped my tense, cold muscles in a vain attempt to smooth and loosen them.

"I'll always find her!".

Demetri's words echoed in my ears, his velvety voice victorious and confident.

"Great." I could only blurt out, stunned, as the insight expanded in my mind like a fire licking at branches under gasoline.

My mental strands began to intersect, weighing the few possibilities underneath the equally little knowledge.

My current situation resembled a predicament, a dilemma.

I was mainly unaware of vampire laws and their depth. No one could tell me with certainty or assure me that residents were still protected by these laws when they left the city or that they could become a target of the vampires if they were sufficiently interested.