Chapter Sixteen: A Freckled Face and A Quick Escape

Harry's POV:

Freckles.

Freckles were the first thing I saw. Tiny little dots brushed across her cheeks, nose and forehead like little specks of brown glitter. They scrunched when her nose did, the tip of her tongue touching the outer corner of her lip in concentration.

But before I say what she was doing, I'd like you to understand something. This girl had some kind of hex on me. She could con me into anything just by flipping her hair or batting her lashes. Which meant I couldn't be held responsible for the things I did around her. She could get me to do things I otherwise wouldn't do with just a look on her face.

Like painting my nails. A bright, vibrant red. Apparently it worked better with my complexion.

But I wasn't all too bothered. Not when Ginny was this close to me. So close in fact that if she scooted just an inch closer, her beautiful short eyelashes would brush against my cheek. My stomach did a flip at the thought.

I was glad to see she hadn't caught my blush, much less heard my thoughts. Then again, maybe she had. Because despite dipping her head to hide it, I could see her lips fighting a smile.

Embarrassed at being caught in the act, I did my best to focus on the nails she ordered me to shake around and dry. I really did try my best. But again, this woman was a witch. Literally. So instead of staring at her, mouth agape like it was the first time I was in the presence of the opposite gender, I asked a question that'd been plaguing me recently.

"What do you think of Ron and El?"

"Harry Potter, the master of the smooth transition." She quipped.

"Seriously, Gin."

She paused her painting to gnaw at the inside of her cheek. "Frankly, I think they're being stupid. They're so obviously obsessed with eachother but they just can't seem to open their mouths and say it. They're both so oblivious it only makes them more of a perfect match."

Well...

The lady wasn't wrong.

"Honestly, I don't know much about El's feelings," I admitted. "But Ron definitely likes her."

"Well, duh," she said, "but has Ron actually told you he likes El?"

I shook my head. "I just... I don't know how to explain it, Gin. I can just tell. I've known Ron for so long - hell, we share a bathroom, I know what kind of soap he uses. I know his feelings for El are more than he's letting on."

"Wait," she paused to blink. "You know what kind of soap he uses?"

I shot Gin a look. She laughed.

"I just think Ron's finally starting to open up his eyes. Whether he fully realises it or not. I mean, with everything that happened yesterday-"

"What?" Ginny asked. "What happened yesterday? Why am I not in the loop?"

"I thought El would have told you."

She shook her head. "I haven't seen her since I helped her get ready for her date with Dean."

Awkwardly, I coughed. "Ahem. Well... about that."

Ginny leant back, confused. Another second and her eyes began to widen. The cap of the nail polish made a loud pop as it shut. "It wasn't a date?"

"Apparently not."

Ginny, clearly frustrated - if it was at the situation or the entire universe I wasn't sure - groaned. Hard. "Oh my merlin, are all men in this universe just completely obvious?"