- 𝟎𝟏𝟎

𝐁𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐓𝐨 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤
-𝟎𝟏𝟎-
𝐒𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟏𝟗

Valerie and Tommy had their wedding in the September of 1919. It was a beautiful wedding. Valerie did enjoy herself. She had forced herself to let go of John after their small argument outside the Garrison the night that Tommy announced the engagement to the family.

Tensions were still there between John and Valerie whenever they crossed each other but they tended to steer away from one another's paths.

Valerie was 7 months along to be exact and the winter nights were starting the creep in slowly. As they got deeper into December, Valerie found that it was harder it was to work.

Tommy was taking care of her as much as he could but putting up the front of loving her was kind of difficult for him as he already wasn't much of a loving man anyway. But he still tried.

"Valerie, love, you wouldn't mind handing me that book would you?" Polly asked from the office. Valerie placed a hand on her baby bump and took the book from the betting table and into the office, dodging the men that walked to and fro.

"Thank you," Polly said, taking it from her hands and giving her a once over.

"Why don't you go down to the Garrison? Thomas and some of the others are there." The older woman suggested.

Valerie let out a breath and placed a hand on her hip. "I might as well. Maybe then Tommy will think about coming home earlier." She gave Polly a half hearted smile and picked up her coat. "I'll see you later, Pol." She dismissed, walking out of the house and carefully down to the Garrison.

The cobble was beginning to ice over due to the cold that was settling over Small Heath.

Valerie had grown more comfortable around Tommy after they got married. She knew he'd never love her which would sometimes sadden her because she never wanted to be married to a man who didn't love her. She always dreamt of having someone truly love her. And she did have that. It's just a shame she couldn't keep that.

"Here she is!" Arthur shouted the moment she stepped in through the door. She smiled to him and he hugged her from the side.

"And what are you doing here, eh?" Tommy asked with a slight smile, wrapping an arm around her. She looked up at him and sighed. "Polly let me go for the night." She said.

Tommy nodded once and moved beside her, his glass of whiskey in hand.

John kept his head down and played with an unlit cigarette between his fingers, rolling it back and forth.

"Ey, ey.." Arthur grabbed their attention, "wouldn't it be funny if your baby was born on Christmas, eh?" He chuckled loudly. He was drunk.

"Yeah that would be really funny Arthur." Valerie replied, unsure what to say.

Tommy squeezed her shoulder lightly and went off for a moment to discuss with Grace. A certain tiredness came over Valerie despite her short time being at the pub but nevertheless she thought it best to go home.

"Tommy," she said to him. He turned his head. "I'm going back. I don't feel the greatest." She said to him. Tommy muttered his last few words to Grace and went to Valerie's side again. "It's late anyway." He nodded. He took his coat from the hook and shrugged it onto his shoulders.